Hull gouges with pictures...

Cowthief

Seaman
Just looking for ideas on how to fix these, I am almost positive it is just cosmetic, but will not know until I dremel out the one.
These are stress cracks along the strakes.
IMAG0186.jpgIMAG0187.jpg

This is a gouge that was hit on the trailer with a missing roller. PO deciding resin only would be enough to fill it :facepalm: I plan to dremel it out and see how deep it is first and any wetness. I will post pictures tomorrow after i clean it out. Going to use 3m marine filler and brush on some gelcoat.

IMAG0189.jpgIMAG0190.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0188.jpg
    IMAG0188.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0

Cowthief

Seaman
Re: Hull gouges with pictures...

Alright guys, finally got the old poly resin that the PO thought would be a great idea to slap on there. It doesn't look more than a mm deep and nothing through the fiberglass. I got some 3m marine filler yesterday. Will this be the best approach to fill and then just sand? I also plan to make a "V" shape mold of the Strake to get some of it's shape back.

IMAG0192.jpgIMAG0193.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If she were mine, I'd be grinding it down a bit and laying some glass and then rolling on 2-3 coats of gelcoat. But if you don't want to do that then you could just mix up some Gelcoat Paste (Gelcoat and Cabosil) and putty knife fill it then sand and buff. Make sure to clean it all well with acetone and remove any loosed gelcoat pieces. Being on the strake like that makes it a bit more of an issue but you should be able to shape it and form it back pretty well.

Cowthief

Seaman

Wood, your way was defiantly the best for patching her up, but I went with epoxy and Cabo. I put down 2 layers sanding and wiping down in-between each layer to make sure there were no air bubbles or uneven layers. I will do one more tomorrow shaping the strake. It defiantly isn't as easy as it looks making shape.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sorry for the late reply ..

So .. you used epoxy and glass ? or just Epoxy and cabosil.. ?

( Hint .. you can tape up strip of flexible floor molding on your bottom side of the strake...then pack and skim with your glass and/or putty .. sand the face side of the strake until you reach your molding..then make a radius .. shhh )..

YD.