hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrecks1971

Seaman
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Loved the pics of the boat in the water, its great to see the boat getting closer to completion. I wish I could get back to my boat lots to do and no time at the moment. :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Ward, I have been thinking about this vibration problem and might have missed it, but is this engine a 350 or was it converted to a 383 with a 400 crank? If it has been stroked with the 400 parts the problem could lie there since it would need to be externally balanced. If indeed it is the "normal" internally balanced 350, then as stated before, it could be something as simple as a harmonic balancer. Chasing vibrations can sure wear one out.

hi 52 !

stock 350 ls1 or ls7 ....4 bolt mains...8.5 or 9.5 to 1...i forget...but the engine was a 350.....it has no vibration before the installation. i did put the wrong flywheel on it...(it was for a bbc) that was run up for approx 10 minits. then replaced.

after i replaced it with the correct flywheel....the dry land run ups were sucess full....no vibration....but under load....it was mid to severe starting somewhere between 2500- and 3k....but evening out at around 4 k.
im swapping the drives as soon as i can....i want to be thru with this delema and on to the next phase

oops!

Supreme Mariner

improperly tightened bolts from the engine to the transmission....3 of the 4 of them actually. My mom's truck had a vibration problem that ended up being loose torque converter bolts....

Check your bolts for proper torque! Something may have loosened up just enough to get you to scratchin' your head.

the only thing that changed was the back end of the motor....that means back out again just to check......

i didnt put a torque wrench on the flywheel bolts....but i know they were at least at 55 lbs.

as far as the coupler...that was tightened down well....however there were no lock washers on the three bolts and it was difficult lining up the coupler to the bolt holes. and i didnt lock tite them in. im wondering if that is not where my problem lies.

however the alignment bar shows perfect..i worked a long time getting it perfect...a little tweak here or there when most would have said good enough...:confused: if the coupler was out.....the alignment would be also....:confused: oh well ill exchange the drive and we will see what happens.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sweet, you finally got the beast on the water! awesome work! When you are ready to put it through more of a test bring it to the coast and take it for a nip across the straight...:D

pictures of projects hitting the water always give me bits of modivation to get ours done, unfortunatly, it doesnt help my wallet out at all...lol:rolleyes:

lol....ill fly you out here and we can hunt down the vibration....:D
when i get it figgered out....it might be just in time for the bathtub races !

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the outdrive and recheck the alignment. There has been a lot of changes to that boat (believe it or not) and some things may have changed after putting it in the water the first time.
When you check the alignment, check it at 0?, 90?, 180? and 270?. The alignment bar should be equal all the way around. If not, it can and will set up a heck of a vibration.

redfury

Commander

I get the feeling that the problem will be discovered quickly...just a hunch.

It's quite possible that after putting the engine under a water load, everything in the boat "settled" and something needs a minor tweak. Considering the vibration is in a 'sweet spot', it seems to me that it's going to end up being something just slightly off or slightly worn enough to cause a problem.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

....it might be just in time for the bathtub races !

sounds good, the big nanaimo race comes right out to schooner cove, goes around the navy ship outside the breakwater and heads back to nanaimo... with any luck ill be out there in my boat too.....ahhahah

My buddy also has a tub and will be in the race.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I get the feeling that the problem will be discovered quickly...just a hunch.

It's quite possible that after putting the engine under a water load, everything in the boat "settled" and something needs a minor tweak. Considering the vibration is in a 'sweet spot', it seems to me that it's going to end up being something just slightly off or slightly worn enough to cause a problem.

actually red........i think you win the lottery.

you mentioned "in your experiance"...it was a loose bolt or something.

well....thats mine too.

im pulling the motor.
i would have had it out tonight but my motor chain is "missing" im not waiting for the hoist.....i borrowed a crane and that sucker is coming out tommorow morning. the motor is loose...just sitting there and ready to come out.
i heard a noise as i was pulling off the dock.....before the vibration was noticed. at the time, i thought is was from off the boat, somewhere off shore (its a busy area)....but now that mike suggested it....it may have been a bolt flying from the coupler.

i hope i didnt toast the coupler.....they gymball berring is good.
ill know the problem tommorow...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Pull the outdrive and recheck the alignment. There has been a lot of changes to that boat (believe it or not) and some things may have changed after putting it in the water the first time.
When you check the alignment, check it at 0?, 90?, 180? and 270?. The alignment bar should be equal all the way around. If not, it can and will set up a heck of a vibration.

thank you don.....

it will be checked tommorow before i pull it.......you are correct at the different crank shaft positions. ....it can be "on" in one position and "off" in another".
when i set up the alignment, i got it good....then made it better......the tool slid with ease.....and the grease was even all the way around the splines. it was as good as i could get it.
but as you read above.....i didnt use lock washers on the bolts holding the coupler....i just used what was there.....i think i put locktite on them....but looking in the merc parts diagramme it says lock washers.
i had them torqued to about 45 lbs (guesstamate) but not good enough.
i will know tommorow when i check the alignment and pull the motor.

thanks for looking in

cheers
oops

c0y0te56

Cadet

Hi Oops
This vibration problem sounds to familiar.
Lost a weekend one time trying to figure out the same symptoms.
Boat would idle and run out smooth as silk when not in gear but under a load it would vibrate badly.
Ours wasn't in a certain spot it was a lag of power all the way thru
After a lot of head scratching and tearing the carb apart. We went into town and got a replacement carb. slipped it on and all was well.
I hope you aren't over thinking the problem. but if it persists. I would go that direction
Good Luck

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

how do you plan to get the weight down?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

how do you plan to get the weight down?

i dont....

the boat is heaver than i wanted .....but lighter than other 25 footers brand new from the factory fully loaded.

the weight isnt really an issue....its just heaver than i wanted....remember i was hoping to hit 60.....still might....

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

oops said
remember i was hoping to hit 60.....still might....

be too oops, i'll be 53 in april. :p LOL
i'm also heavier than i want

Good luck with that vibration

oops!

Supreme Mariner

be too oops, i'll be 53 in april. :p LOL

Good luck with that vibration

lol....on my way there now.

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Aren't we all. Fortunately it looks good on Oops' boat. I bet if I added another five feet I'd look that good, too.:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.......got the motor out.....pulled the flywheel cover......

and .....nothing.......it was correct. :( i was hoping to find the problem there.

i did however find a broken spring washer (between the flywheel housing and the transom plate.....(minor ....some just missing of it).

its going back in tommorow after noon......ill run it back up and see.....ill also fix the carb before it i run it up.

i checked the alignment before i pulled it......there was a space of 1/4 inch that was not contacting the spline. however i had allready undone the 4 motor mount bolts the night before.......so im guessing it was as close as possible.....

tommorow when i re-install it.....ill make sure it is perfect every 1/4 rotation.

hockey has gotten in the way......possibly our teams last game of the year tonight......they are down 3-2 in the series.......its a must win.
but ill be back on it tommorow early after noon.

oh by the way........i was trying to upload pics last night and this morning....and photobucket says my puter has "trust issues" but wont prompt me to fix them....ive been thru the help section but to no avail....

its weird cause ive allready uploaded with this puter and ie7.....ill load fire fox and see if that makes a difference.

cheers
oops

c0y0te56

Cadet

Hi Oops
This vibration problem sounds to familiar.
Lost a weekend one time trying to figure out the same symptoms.
Boat would idle and run out smooth as silk when not in gear but under a load it would vibrate badly.
Ours wasn't in a certain spot it was a lag of power all the way thru
After a lot of head scratching and tearing the carb apart. We went into town and got a replacement carb. slipped it on and all was well.
I hope you aren't over thinking the problem. but if it persists. I would go that direction
Good Luck

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks coyote.....

ill get that carb fixed soon......my engine thech thinks its the float bowl that is out of adjustment.

as far as the vibration......i have discovered some "slop" in the coupler....

and i started a thread in the i/o forum

rob j just happens to have one here in stock here in kelowna.....im going over there now to pick it up....

if all goes well and i have no doubts....ill re install the motor tonight.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well im not saying that the vibration problem is solved......BUT !

there were several things found that could be contributing factors....

first.....there were two spring washers used ond one was broken...these will be replaced when it goes back togeather.

2. after deep investigation, alot of time and effort from iboats mod don s
it was determined that i had the wrong coupler....i used the trianglar coupler from newer v6 and v8's....however...due to the fact that my block is actually an older block... i needed a coupler that bolts not to the outer edges of the flywheel....but to the inside crankshaft area of the flywheel.

......enter iboater robj.....last year when i was working on the motor....he brought a spare coupler for me if i needed it.....he called me and reminded me that it was still in kelowna......he made some quick arrangements....and i picked it up.

can you beleive it is exactally the coupler i needed?...way to go robj ! :)

i went to the shop at 10 30....removed the flywheel....and matched it all up...everything lines up !.
the only thing that stopped me from replacing everything and re installing the motor right then and there is that the grade 8 flywheel bolts are now too short to bolt everything togeather....

the merc manual says to use studs...washers...and nuts....i measured....and need a 1 3/4 inch stud.....ill be picking that up in the morning....and with any luck....ill have it all back togeather by noon for a run up....if sucessful...there may be another lake tryal tommorow.....but thats pretty ambitious......so well see.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok....i finally got back on photo bucket....
iboater achris from down under wanted to see these pics of the heater set up so he could suggest some ideas....

chris....i was upside down when i took these pics. so i hope they are right side up in austraila :D

this is the input to the heater line.....direct from the water pump of the engine.

008-1.jpg

this is the "t" system

007-1.jpg

ok....its kinda hard to make out....above....my hand is holding the hoses coming out of the thermostat housing.....the "t" is in the intake manifold water jacket...on the side of the "t" is the temp sensor...and the other side with the hose clamp is the return line from the heater.

here is a pic from the opposite side...actually the even bank of cyls...

006-1.jpg

the sensor end is kinda hidden by the holly gas feed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.