HUGE PROJECT!! 30' Scarab Sport overhual

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: HUGE PROJECT!! 30' Scarab Sport overhual

TG

Nothing wrong with how you did it, epoxy does a much better job as a glue. What it comes down to is how good of a bond is needed for this type of application, once that level is exeeded then anything more is of no real value. Rarely do you see a transom or stringer come loose from the glass unless the wood rots from water getting in, on a transom that's normally from the trim on top not being sealed well, or bolt holes with the same issue, the type of resin won't stop, or prevent the rot. This has to do with the type and amount of stress being applied to the bond, which isn't that much. A transom typically has at least 6 bolts going throught it clamping the glass on each side and the layers of plywood togther.

Robj

Lieutenant

thanks lundnisswa, So Birch cabinte grade ply wood be ok? I mean this stuff is beautiful, it seems SUPER strong. If birch is ok I will use it... anyone have any objection?
In reguards to the transome, how should I attach the layers of ply together? A layer of epoxy in between and then screw it together????

I would use Douglas Fir exterior grade plywood. You can go the treated route if you like, but it will take about a month for it to dry out. Do a search on PT ply and you will be reading for days.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i can see by the people posting on here....you are getting lots of great help here....:)

how are you doing on the hull.....have you riped out the transom yet?

(do the transom first....then the strings....its easyer to tie them in after)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

It helps to see it done visually,
then you can more easily comprehend what people write here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh6RkYNxiHw&feature=related

Nice vid..makes it easy to visulize..5 sheets of plywood and i would highly recomend the marine $300....200 for 2 gallon's of epoxy.....50 for the glass..

$550 your under budget for the transom...now bank the rest and tear out the stringers id wait for the transom you need to brace up sides prior to that and it very simple very..takes about 1 hour or so and maybe 50.

jcsercsa

Captain

Nice vid..makes it easy to visulize..5 sheets of plywood and i would highly recomend the marine $300....200 for 2 gallon's of epoxy.....50 for the glass..

$550 your under budget for the transom...now bank the rest and tear out the stringers id wait for the transom you need to brace up sides prior to that and it very simple very..takes about 1 hour or so and maybe 50.

OHH man check out US Composites for your epoxy 5 gals of epoxy and 1 1/2 gals of hardner for 243.00 , there glass prices are pertty good also !! john

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

OHH man check out US Composites for your epoxy 5 gals of epoxy and 1 1/2 gals of hardner for 243.00 , there glass prices are pertty good also !! john

Kewl covers the stringers now where's the host....;)

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

mnessman

Seaman

One thought that you might be able to do is continue to search for another boat that has alot of the parts that you are looking for but for a lot less money then buying all of the pieces separatley. I did this on the boat that I am rebuilding, I purchased a boat that was in bad shape but had a good 115hp motor good windshield along with a multitude of other pieces that I could use and I got it all for 250.00. It saved me alot of money.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
update

update

Well if your wondering where all the commentary and photos have been I am sorry! The reason i haven?t sent any photos this week is cuz there was not much progress made. I cut into the transom and I have included some photos of what it looked like inside. I am glassing tomorrow and the one question i have for you is the 1708 cloth, which side goes up? the stringy side with glass going every which way, or the side that is more like a grid? In the other photo is where i was laying out the glass as i was cutting it. I plan on putting the new transom in this upcoming week and will proved several photos, other than that there's not much going on other than demo and grinding. I will take photos tomorrow after we grind and apply the first layer of glass. you have all been a lot of help!!! I will update with much more commentary and photos when i get there. Talk to you tomorrow!

!Also looking for a Stainless Steel gas inlet/cap, and 2 stainless steel threw hull bilge pump outlets!

Attachments

• Boat 106.jpg
    Boat 106.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 107.jpg
    Boat 107.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 110.jpg
    Boat 110.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

Also, if anyone can find any info and "brochures" on a 1985 scarab, I am looking for original photos and info so I know the specs of this boat and the locations of hardware. Take care guys!

redfury

Commander

The weave goes "up", the CSM backing is there for adhesion to the old part of the hull that has been ground up rough and cleaned with acetone ( to get rid of the wax that comes to the surface ). CSM ( chopped strand mat ) is like the primer of the fiberglass world, though has many more uses than just for bonding biax, etc to the hull.

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: update

Re: update

I am glassing tomorrow and the one question i have for you is the 1708 cloth, which side goes up? the stringy side with glass going every which way, or the side that is more like a grid? In the other photo is where i was laying out the glass as i was cutting it. I plan on putting the new transom in this upcoming week and will proved several photos, other than that there's not much going on other than demo and grinding. I will take photos tomorrow after we grind and apply the first layer of glass.

As Red said, the matt side is there for adhesion, so it generally goes down, unless you have a layer of matt underneat that you are simultaneously glassing.

Why are you putting a layer of glass onto the transom? That can all be done when you are installing the wood. Doing it simultaneously decreases the work. Unless you have ground away a substantial amount of glass and weakened it, then you can built it up a bit before you glass in the transom.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

john.....you really need to do some more reading on here.....

did you replace the sections of the stringers yet?....or are you just glassing over the old ones?

and ALL the wood on the transom needs to come out.....

but keep atter !

jserb

Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone, well I have to apologize, I haven?t been very thorough on my explanations as to what has been going on and what my game plan is for the remainder of the project. The original plan was to replace all the stringers, and that was it. However then I found out that the transom was shot so now im doing ALL THE WOOD in the boat. The past week has been more of demolition and grinding more than anything, which is why you haven?t seen very many pics. It just isnt exciting so I haven been posting a ton of photos. With that said...I am posting one or two that show what little progress has been made. And "OOPS" what you are seeing taking place on the transom is that I didnt want to cut all the old stringers out on the boat and lose the shape the hull. So I have been cutting out the transom and what wood I left in place was cuz I couldn?t get to it with the stringers in the way. So yes I do know all the wood has to come out, however this is a progress photo. So I my fault for not giving a decent description.

Now the plan is! I have a BUNCH of 8oz. cloth that I bought from "RED" and I am going to use the 1708 BIAX to TAB in the stringers, Im talking like 7 inch tabs on either side (stringer & Hull) (14inchs total), and then come back with the 8oz. cloth to rap the stringers. The 8oz cloth will be given 2 MAYBE 3 layers, and is more to seal and water proof the stringer. The stringer has plenty of vertical strength and 1708 encasing it would be over kill. I am starting to glass Monday in the bow and work my way back. once i get 85 percent of the stringers in I should be back by the transom and then i will finish cleaning it out and cut out all the old stringers( this is done so the hull doesn?t lose its integrity). After this, I will begin working on the interior shell. I will grind out the underside of where the floor is soft, apply new wood and fiberglass it in.

I would like all your inputs on this please!!

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

Safety First! A look at the transom pretty cleaned out.

Also For all of you who have helped look for engines! Thank you all soo much I have been looking at every lead! However I spoke with several people and I have decided not to go below 200 horses. Thank you all!!!!!!

Wish list!

o Flush mount Compass
o Trim tabs 12X24??
o Through hull fitting & valve for Live well
o Hydraulic cylinder for steering
o Hydraulic hoses for steering
o Chrome steering wheel
o VHF antenna
o Fuel gauge sensor
o Red Bottom paint
o Joystick & wiring harness for spot light
o Vbunk cabin light, Vbunk fan
o Twin 200+ engines
o Red LED courtesy lights
o Marine carpet glue
o Anchor chain
o Radio & Amps
o Speakers
o Chrome gas cap
o Chrome bilge pump through hull fittings
o Rocker switch panel
o Outboard fuel hose (3/8?)
o Teak stain
o Plastic cabin door

Thanks for keeping your eye out for any of these items!

Attachments

• Boat 111.jpg
    Boat 111.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 112.jpg
    Boat 112.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

so no objections to what procedure I am doing on the stringers?

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

This is the only boat in my area that is the exact same boat. She passed by me this weekend and i had to snap a few photos of what mine will hopfully look like!

Attachments

• Boat 115.jpg
    Boat 115.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 117.jpg
    Boat 117.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 121.jpg
    Boat 121.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.