Hows the water coming in?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok since I bought this boat back in August and brought it home sitting on the trailer. I've noticed that in one of my storage compartments. The one in front of the console which is a 76 gal compartment has water. Now Ive cleaned all the compartments including this one but for some reason with in a few days to a week I notice water back in this compartment. Not much but enough for me to ask where the hell is the water coming in from since its all closed off. And the boat is covered. No rain getting in. :confused:
The boat is a 2001 21ft aquasport cc. Anybody have any ideas?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hows the water coming in?

:confused: You have used the boat on the water correct? Is this water coming in after using the boat? Does it have a bilge pump or aerator hooked to this compartment, is this a live well? Do you have a hole in your cover? Do you have children that may be dumping a cup full of water into the compartment :D? (Just a joke on the last question.)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Trapped water in the hull combined with a bow down or bow up attitude causing the water to get into the compartment. I also feel you are dealing with condensation. Leave the hatch open and provide some breathing for the cover.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:confused: You have used the boat on the water correct? Is this water coming in after using the boat? Does it have a bilge pump or aerator hooked to this compartment, is this a live well? Do you have a hole in your cover? Do you have children that may be dumping a cup full of water into the compartment :D? (Just a joke on the last question.)

The boat hasnt been in the water since Sept. It does have 2 bilge pumps. All it is is a storage compartment. And theres no holes in the cover thats what I thought at first. But after hosing it down with water to see if there was. No holes.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trapped water in the hull combined with a bow down or bow up attitude causing the water to get into the compartment. I also feel you are dealing with condensation. Leave the hatch open and provide some breathing for the cover.

How can there be trapped water in the hull? How does it get in and how do you get it out? Is this normal or do I have a leak?
I guess it could be condensation cause i do leave the door closed. But why is it only in this comparment? I have 4 other comparments. One 100 qt. baitwell, insulated fish boxes on the starboard and port sides,anchor storage comparment, and the cooler compartment. None of which have water in it.
But the one in question is located in the center and the lowest part of the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have you check the other compartments for drains, usually 1/4 to 3/8 inch hole that goes to the bilge. put some water in them and see if they drain.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

if your boat has foam in the hull, and the foam is saturated with water, it may be seeping in to the compartment.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I noticed a similar problem and discovered that one of my compartments is at the lowest point of all the other compartments. The compartments hoses all tee off into a main drain hose that connects to a drain on the side of my hull. Condensation or other water from all compartments collect into that lowest compartment. Now I store my boat with the bow as high as the jack stand will allow.

In some cases, the thru hull drain is mounted above the waterline and is higher than the bottom of the storage compartments.

a70eliminator

Captain

I would think if the water was creeping out of soaked foam or anywhere from within it would be yellowish dingy and dirty looking, condensation would be crystal clear.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would think if the water was creeping out of soaked foam or anywhere from within it would be yellowish dingy and dirty looking, condensation would be crystal clear.

It does have A yellowish tint to it. Def. not clear. Could it be from the foam? But how does water get in the foam and how does it get in that compartment?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I noticed a similar problem and discovered that one of my compartments is at the lowest point of all the other compartments. The compartments hoses all tee off into a main drain hose that connects to a drain on the side of my hull. Condensation or other water from all compartments collect into that lowest compartment. Now I store my boat with the bow as high as the jack stand will allow.

In some cases, the thru hull drain is mounted above the waterline and is higher than the bottom of the storage compartments.

The compartment in question is at the lowest point of all others. But all other compartments are dry. And if it where condensation it would be clear looking right? The water thats in there is yellowish in tint.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if your boat has foam in the hull, and the foam is saturated with water, it may be seeping in to the compartment.
This is what im starting to think it is. But how does water get in the foam? How do I get it all out ? Can It be sealed as to water never getting in the foam again? And how does it get in the compartment? There are no run marks for me to say ok its coming from this side. Just sets in the bottom.

D

DJ

It does have A yellowish tint to it. Def. not clear. Could it be from the foam? But how does water get in the foam and how does it get in that compartment?

Water gets in the foam in several ways:

1. A crack or sepration in the hull and/or deck (floor).

2. A leaking through hull fitting.

3. A leaking compartment drain.

4. A leaking baitwell plumbing fixture or hose.

#'s 2-4 are the most likely.

Find out where your compartments drain to and trace the hoses. Also, look at all the through hull fittings.

If the foam is wet, it could have been that way for a very long time.

There is no sure fire way to get it all the water out. Standing the boat bow up, as high as you can get it, usually helps. If your boat has been on the trailer since September, you have a good chance of drying her out.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you check the other compartments for drains, usually 1/4 to 3/8 inch hole that goes to the bilge. put some water in them and see if they drain.

Each compartment has a drain hole about an inch or so from the bottom and they all go to the back where the bilge pumps are. But the water doesnt reach that high in the compartment in question.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water gets in the foam in several ways:

1. A crack or sepration in the hull and/or deck (floor).

2. A leaking through hull fitting.

3. A leaking compartment drain.

4. A leaking baitwell plumbing fixture or hose.

#'s 2-4 are the most likely.

Find out where your compartments drain to and trace the hoses. Also, look at all the through hull fittings.

If the foam is wet, it could have been that way for a very long time.

There is no sure fire way to get it all the water out. Standing the boat bow up, as high as you can get it, usually helps. If your boat has been on the trailer since September, you have a good chance of drying her out.

Those are some good suggestions. I will make a note of them so I could check when it gets warmer out.
In the mean time I'm gonna try to raise the bow up some more. I just hope I find the source of the leak and hope that it can be fixed. Gee my first boat and I already have to worry about it sinking.:(

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok today was a nice day for me to investegate my water leak. What I did find was that I have two cupholders up front one on the starb. side and the other on the port side. Both have 4 holes drilled on the bottom of each cupholder. I assume its for when it rains it drains down into the storage compartment than to the bilge pumps in the back. But on one side the silicone that seals the compartment to the hull of the boat was split. Its about a 6in. opening. So when it rains the water runs down behind the compartment and into the hull. Had to be like that for a long time.
Now the foam is soaked with water. I drilled two 1/2 holes on each side of the compartment to let some of the water drain out. Question I have now is how can I dry out the foam?
Thank you.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Question I have now is how can I dry out the foam?
Thank you.

I assume that you are talking about the foam under the deck on the boat correct? That foam could take a very long time to dry out. There are methods that you might be able to try, I'm sure these guys can point you in the right direction.

D

DJ

Ok today was a nice day for me to investegate my water leak. What I did find was that I have two cupholders up front one on the starb. side and the other on the port side. Both have 4 holes drilled on the bottom of each cupholder. I assume its for when it rains it drains down into the storage compartment than to the bilge pumps in the back. But on one side the silicone that seals the compartment to the hull of the boat was split. Its about a 6in. opening. So when it rains the water runs down behind the compartment and into the hull. Had to be like that for a long time.
Now the foam is soaked with water. I drilled two 1/2 holes on each side of the compartment to let some of the water drain out. Question I have now is how can I dry out the foam?
Thank you.

Good job on seeking out the source of the leak. Dang cupholders. There was obviously no thought as to how they were mounted. In todays market, cupholders sell boats, quality doesn't.

Anyway, drying out foam can be tricky. If at all possible, allow it to drain. This may mean drilling some holes that you will have to seal up later.

I have also duct taped a shop vac hose to one of the drilled holes. It does a pretty good job of vacuuming out the moisture.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good job on seeking out the source of the leak. Dang cupholders. There was obviously no thought as to how they were mounted. In todays market, cupholders sell boats, quality doesn't.

Anyway, drying out foam can be tricky. If at all possible, allow it to drain. This may mean drilling some holes that you will have to seal up later.

I have also duct taped a shop vac hose to one of the drilled holes. It does a pretty good job of vacuuming out the moisture.

Yea I'll tell you, why in the hell would they put holes in the cupholders so it could drain in the compartments. How dumb is that. And why would they put cupholders on a fishing boat period. :)

I've already drilled 2 - 1/2" holes on each side to air it out. Guess I'm going to go bigger and drill 1" or 1 1/2" hole on the bottom of the compartment so I could drain it better and as you say put my wet vacc. on it.

Question: Can I use automotive silicone to seal that split seam? Have tons of that stuff.

And as far as those dam drain holes on the cupholders I plan on sealing those holes. And installing a plastic housing in it. so if it rains I can just dump the plastic instead of removing the holder. ;)