How to tighten up steering

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1979 Johnson 70 horse. I feel the steering is a bit loose. I do NOT mean that there is some play when turning the wheel back and forth. I mean it should take a little more effort to turn the wheel in either direction. Is there some place where this can be adjusted? Perhaps in that mechanism box behind the steering wheel? This is a 16 foot Starcraft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Wow, that's an unusual request. All I ever heard were complaints when too hard to steer. But I guess I can understand your concern. Is it unstable or dangerous? There is dual cable steering for that situation.

Last edited:

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine flops around from left to right when I am trailering unless I latch the steering wheel with a bungee. That really ticks me off.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What type of helm do you have? Rotary, R&P or cable?

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its one of those thicker cable type things that runs from the starboard side all the way to the engine. I think its red.

ojotaylor

Seaman Apprentice
The engine flops around from left to right when I am trailering unless I latch the steering wheel with a bungee. That really ticks me off.

You need a transom saver. Walmart has the adjustable kind for under $20. It attaches to your trailer and to the bottom of your outboard and keeps everything in place during tow. Also takes all the stress off the transom from the motor bouncing while driving. I had a 15' Dixie Malibu with a 110 hp Evinrude that would do the same thing. Cheap and easy fix. Here ya go...

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
iboats sells Transom Savers, with a variety available.