How to tell if bearings are failing

suparslinc

Cadet
I recently experienced a blowout on my trailer. The tires were I believe original, so probably close to 20 years old if thats possible, they were pretty dry rotted and a rear tire blew after about 11 miles of low speed driving.

Got a spare on, and stopped on the way home after about 5 miles. The other rear tires was pretty warm (its a tandem), but I also believe more of the boats weight is on the back two tires.

Got four new tires. The guy at the tire shop showed me that one of the wheels had quite a bit of grease on it; he said it indicated a failed bearing. Now I don't believe this to be a true tell because the bearings are not sealed and have bearing buddies. However, when I got home, I spun the hub on the back wheel and it did not spin as freely as the front. If I kicked it the hub would spin for about another 1/4 turn at best. But, it has drum brakes on the back, so I think it's possible the brakes are just tight or corroded.

Given that, is it possible for a hub to heat up so much in 11 low-speed miles that the tire would lose cohesion? I don't think the bearings are bad but I don't want another blow out either.

Boat and trailer weight ~3700 pounds with 4 C rated trailer tires.

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to tell if bearings are failing

if there is grease spun on your rim it is from your hub, your rear hub seal is probally bad and a new bearing kit is about 10$ most of the time

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can jack up your axle and see if you can move the rim and tire left and right like turning there should be little play up and down to

reelfishin

Captain

The only way to tell if bearings are failing or going bad is to take them out, clean them and look for pitting or damage.
The grease on the rim is most likely just a bad seal or loose wheel bearing. If you haven't had the bearings apart for a service this year, do it.
I just replace the bearings most of the time, at about $20 per axle, it's not worth the time for me to clean and inspect each bearing.
Also take a close look at the seal surface where the seal rides on the axle.
Being over generous with the grease can also force grease out past the seal, over pumping grease into a bearing buddy will do every time. If thats the case, the seal if most likely fine as it's the only point where the excess grease can escape. Grease can also fly off of the bearing buddy if not capped or kept clean as well.
Start buy jacking each wheel, spinning each wheel and listen for bearing noise or whine, and check for excess free play in the bearing.
There should be little or no wobble or end play at the bearing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

removing cleaning bearings is annual maintaintance, if you do not want trouble. if using in salt water do it twice a year. also servicing you brakes.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Listen and feel when you rotate the wheel. If it sounds like sandpaper in there or they spin easier one way than the other, your brakes are misadjusted. If you can feel vibration, your bearings and/or races need help. If none of the above, pull your buddy and re-adjust the adjustment (crown) nut...may be too tight. Grease on the outside is from over greasing...over greasing over time blows the inside seal. This is probably the easiest and cheapest job on a boat (trailer), and as others have stated, just pull it all down for inspection.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with everything previously said.

Don't confuse bearing failure and tire failure. While you need both, they are not usually directly related. A 20 year old tire is waaaaay past it's time... but I once had a trailer that got me to the ramp and back twice a year, in the same condition.
One way to check your bearings is to feel the hub - by hand, after a 5-10 mile drive. If it's HOT, you're ready for a problem. Regardless, you might consider re-packing the bearings (or having them done) if you've never had it done.