How to stop smothering of Honda 5HP?

mexicoman6969

Recruit
I have a Honda 5 HP in a well on my Cape Dory 25. I run it at times with the hood all the way up so it can get some air to breathe. At times, when there is little or no wind or if the wind is running with us, the motor really bogs down a lot. I believe it's not getting enough fresh air because I understand some of the exhaust is coming out of the engine under or near the hood of the engine. It is basically inhaling exhaust fumes. I either read or heard some years back that it is possible to add a small pipe to this exhaust fitting and run it down alongside the leg to the water. That way the engine won't smother down.
Has anyone heard of this problem? Any way to solve it? Is it possible to install a small pipe to run the secondary exhaust down to the water?
Please advise as it's a real mess...especiually if it dies as I'm trying to get in to or out of my tight slip.
Thanks
medxicoman6969

pvanv

Admiral
Re: How to stop smothering of Honda 5HP?

I'm quite familiar with the problem. On my Hinterhoeller HR28, I have twin cowl vents fitted to the lazarette compartment where the OB is located. Back in my 2-stroke days, I used a blower (connected to one of the cowl vents) to feed fresh air to the compartment.

Frankly, with the clean-running Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke I have now, I really don't need the blower any more. However, if your fuel tank(s) are located in that compartment, the USCG would like to see forced air to/from that area.

Back in my smoky 2-stroke Evinrude days, I tried plumbing the exhaust relief holes a distance from the motor. Worked... marginally at best.

Pressurizing the compartment with fresh air was the hands-down best answer. HTH.