how to set timing 1957 johnson 7.5 hp

Kev

Seaman
Re: how to set timing 1957 johnson 7.5 hp

I don't have my manual in front of me (or my motor), but it goes something like this.<br /><br />The proper setting for the link-n-synch (timing) is such that when you twist the twist grip, the line on the cam follower (horizontal bladelike plate that pushes the cam arm that starts to open the throttle plate) is lined up with the cam arm just as the throttle plate begins to move.<br /><br />To adjust the timing, there are two bolts that hold the cam follower in place. Loosen those bolts and you'll find that you can rotate the cam follower out and in, which will make the throttle plate open sooner or later as the twist grip is turned.<br /><br />Keep adjusting it until the timing is set correctly as first described. Once you have the proper setting, tighten down the bolts holding the cam follower.<br /><br />At the correct timing setting, the throttle plate will just begin to open ever so slightly when the twist grip is at the START position, and will open fully when the twist grip is at full throttle.<br /><br />Also do a search for information from J. Reeves on how to properly set your two needle valves (rich-lean controls for high and low speed). Proper carb adjustment makes a big difference for these motors.<br /><br />Consider picking up an OEM manual or a Seloc manual if that is easier to find. It will help a lot if you plan to do routine maintenance and adjustments yourself.<br /><br />With a clean, properly adjusted carb, proper timing, point setting, spark gap, etc. and everything else in good condition, that old Johnny will purr!<br /><br />Happy Boating,<br />Kev

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: how to set timing 1957 johnson 7.5 hp

Set the points at .020 with the point follower arm rubbing block even with the keyway on the ignition cam.