How to set in a new transom?

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
I have it all made and ready to put back in but I am not sure what method to use to attach it back to the fiberglass.
I have a quart of epoxy and a cup of hardener and a quart of cabosil but now I am wondering if this is enough to do a 15 sq ft transom or if it is even the right way to go.
I was just going to make an epoxy peanut butter paste like I have seen on here and just spread it on both surfaces and stick it together?

OR

Should I use poly resin and some csm ?

fisheasy

Cadet
Re: How to set in a new transom?

i would say the epoxy isthe way to go but i dont know if a quart will do it.

redfury

Commander

I'm running up against a similar issue. I have the transom wood cut and shaped, but the problem is making sure that I get the right angle when I bond it to the hull, seeing as the hull has flexed enough with the cap off to warrant a red flag.

My transom is only 20x30 though, it doesn't go across the entire rear of the hull. I had thoughts on bonding it with 3M 5200 adhesive instead of using resin and matt.

jonesg

Admiral

you could use slow epoxy and pop the cap back on whilst it cures.
Thats why I didn't remove my cap.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Well I decided to go the polyester and matt route as I didn't have quite the perfect fit and decided that more than 1 quart was needed to fill the voids. I ended up using just under 3 quarts. Used a half a quart to make a cabosil mix that I applied to the inside of the boat and over 2.5 quarts onto the new transom with a chunk of mat stuck on. In it went and now I'm waiting for it to cure. Tomorrow I will make a mix of resin, cabosil, and some chopped matt and make the fillets around the transom just before I lay in the tabs all around before I pop the floor on.

jonesg

Admiral

good going red, "just do it".:D
I spend more time agonizing than a job ever takes.