How to replace pulley

Does anyone have a write up or video of how to replace a seawater pump pulley?
Mercruiser 350 0k040853

I understand it needs a puller. Does anyone know what type of puller I should rent from autozone or Oreillys and how to get the pulley off? Also what parts would I need to order? Just the pulley or the shaft too? Any other small parts? I dont quite understand the diagram.

2znr1pl.jpg

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: How to replace pulley

That will come off with a power steering pulley puller.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

a steering wheel puller should work. however without the center of the shaft threaded, you will need a press to re-install.

That will come off with a power steering pulley puller.

a steering wheel puller should work. however without the center of the shaft threaded, you will need a press to re-install.

so I just take the pump off, and the steering wheel puller will attach to the pulley and the center piece to pull it off? Im not sure how to press it back on, maybe take it to a marine shop...

Does anyone know the part number or size of the drive belt? I couldnt find it in the parts catalog.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

As much of diy'er as I am I would pull the pump and either take it to a marine shop to have them swap it or take it to an automotive machine shop. Looking at it you might be able to rent a power steering puller but you will still have to have a way to get it back on. Ie pay someone to press it on. For the same money they can to the whole job and very quickly. Dare I ask, did you bend the pulley?

fishrdan

Admiral

EDIT... Is that a plastic pulley? Forget the heat-freeze if it's plastic. (I just noticed the chipped edge of the pulley.)

You could most likely reinstall the pulley with the heat-freeze method. Bake the pulley in the oven at 250* for 20-30 minutes to expand it, then hold a chunk of dry ice on the end of the shaft for a couple of minutes to freeze/shrink it. The pulley should easily slip on the shaft, but you have to be very quick and slide it into the proper depth in one shot. (Pulley resting on work bench and insert shaft into pulley.) Once the pulley and shaft come to the same temp, they pulley isn't going anywhere.

*** Be very careful with dry ice as you can freeze-burn yourself with it! *** I use heavy welding gloves and wrap the dry ice chunk in a couple times with a towel.

Check your grocery store for dry ice, couple bucks a pound. You only need a small piece, 4"x4"x2" piece would do the trick, though you may have to buy a bigger piece.... Use it quickly after buying and bring a small cooler and lots of insulation (towels) so it doesn't gas-off (melt).

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

I don't think it's plastic, but if it is I agree of how to remove fishrdan

Putting the pulley back on is simple, I've used a bench vise just needs a large enough opening. Big C-clamp would probably work also

Well i dont have a bench vise, but a shop said if I bring the new pulley they'd swap em for $50. I think that might be the best route. Although I'm tempted to try the dry ice method

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would to for 60lol. the power steering puller usually puts them on. but i see there is no threads in shaft. safe way is take it to a pro ..pumps arnt cheap