How to repair cracks in Livingston hull

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to repair cracks in Livingston hull

How many layers of 1708 biaxial can be laid at one time? Can I do two layers? If so how do you make sure that the bottom isn't resin starved?

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

How many layers of 1708 biaxial can be laid at one time? Can I do two layers? If so how do you make sure that the bottom isn't resin starved?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It depends on the exact resin and the ambient temperature.

Three layers is normally OK, you wet out each layer as you lay it down so you can control how much resin is on each layer.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

4-5 layers is optimal when trying to roll out bubbles and resin.

2 layers is gonna be tough because there is not enough meat for you to roll out without starving your glass for resin.

1708 is actually not that thick compaired to the the old school of Mat/woving/mat/woving/mat/mat..

Mat cant be rolled out by itself .. 2 layers of glass cant be rolled out. You need at least 3 layers of material before you can roll out.

I like to schedule a 5 layer glass if im building up. .. layout 3 and roll.. apply 2 more and roll .. let it cycle and start to cool .. then lam another 2-3 layers and roll out.

You can do this in a 12 layer schedule if you catch the window of each lams.

Your last lam schedule should be 3 to finish it. .. all at once.

I hope you understand....

YD.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's amazing how the boat gets put on the back burner. Just started disassembling today and found my steering is frozen. I just greased that thing not too long ago, right before the last fishimg trip. I guess two months out of the water didn't help. What's the best way to free it up??? Hit the end with a brass punch? Or take the sleeve out and heat the sleeve then hit the steering shaft with a brass punch. Thanks again for all the help. Also I was reading a boat build and they were using bondo to shape and fair under the glass. Is this allright? I always thought that was a no no. But I'm new to this glassing stuff and this build was by very seasoned builders.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

The more I think about it I think I'm gonna cut the floors out and add more glass to the whole thing. I'm sick of this thing developing stress cracks. My question is this. When I redid the floors there was no gelcoat under there. Do I still need to grind the whole thing down so the new glass has tooth or just wipe with acetone and glass. I am also thinking of filling the floor with a two part expanding foam for buoyancy and to help keep the hull from flexing soo much. Can I cut the floors out, reglasshe hull, then stick the old floors back to give the foam it's shape. Then take the old floors off and put new glass over the foam. The floors now are 1708 over interior ply. I glassed the other side when put in but from what I've been reading this is the worst stuff to use since the glue isn't water resistant. If I can't find marine ply is exterior ply usable since the glue is more water resistant? And yes the ply is coming out of the drain in pieces:(

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes you need to grind all surfaces before doing any glass wok, the bond will be poor if you don't. Adding foam will increase the stiffness of the hulls.

You can put the floor in place and then pour the foam, or pour first and shape it by hand, either way works, you just need to be carefull when pouring foam into a closed space that it doesn't over expand and blow the floor out.

Exterior ply will work.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's the best way to form the foam by hand? Grinder, sawzall? i think i read some where that those electric carving knives are good. You probably need a pretty flat surface so the floor is level to glass.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ondarvr how did you glass your livingstons?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I glassed over the outside of the hulls.

Shaping the foam is easy, just use any tool that works for the specific situation.
You still need to to use plywood or something over the foam so it's flat and can take more abuse.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

How come you did it on the outside and not the inside? I did this and am now wishing I had just cut the floors and laid it up on the inside. Besides, inside would've been a lot easier once I cut the floors. It was a pretty hard task laying glass upside down. But I didn't want to cut the floors because they're only two years old. But now I think I need to thicken the whole thing to sustain the abuse. Abuse or just poorly made boat???

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

These boats are made to be light and affordable, not necessarily bullet proof, so they are what they are.

I didn't want to cut the floor and floatation boxes on the inside, plus the way I use the boat it will need to be repaired again from being pulled up on the beach constantly, so I did it from the outside. I just flipped it over, made it very easy.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_0782.jpgIMG_0785.jpgIMG_0940.jpg. Little hard to flip mine but its gotta be done. Anyway to avoid the hard spots when I replace the floors? Do I just keep the ply off of the hull and glass. If I don't use the expandable foam, would using composite wedges around the floor to hold in place and tab it in be good? Just trying to figure this glassing thing out to avoid future problems. Mahalo

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Flipping it does look a bit complicated, is the topside bolted or glassed in place?

They probably weren't concerned about keeping the wood from contacting the hull when it was built. I would try cutting a cardboard brace to sit the plywood on and leave it in there.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

im thinking of taking the cab off and glassing it back on later. Right now its screwed and glued looks like. The cab builder mounted it so im not sure what type of adhesive was used. How much space should be left around the wood on the floor? I think thats part of the problem, when I did the floors I didn't have a clue on fiberglassing. I thought the tighter the wood to the shape the better. But it turns out the other is true. I found some marine ply at our "Specialty Lumber" location here on island. $50 for 1/4" and $82 for the 1/2". I figured one sheet of ea. The 1/2" for the floor and the 1/4" for the hump. Sure wish we had a foam supplier here. I can order it but that stuff is pretty expensive. Come to think of it, when I redid the floors I left a little lip of the old floor to set the wood on. I might be lucky and be able to separate the two to leave the reveal. Once I start I'm gonna try and take pics in case anyone else is reading this. Any word on the BONDO question asked earlier??? Anyone use Bondo under the glass for radiuses and fairing?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW!! That is a KOOL looking cab!!! I would not use Bondo on your boat. Get some cabosil and mix it with your laminating resin to make your own fillet material. You'll need some CSM and 1708 biaxial cloth too!

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah a lot of these livingstons in Hawaii. The cab helps ALOT!!! I've taken this boat out on some pretty ugly days here. I live on the windward side of Kauai and the water is usually pretty ugly. Very fun just too thin, but that's about to change. Ive been told to just get rid of it and its not worth it, but it's all I got until I can save enough for a bigger boat. Gonna fix it then maybe sell and upgrade. We'll see. Don't want to keep glassing this thing.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_1407.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1409.jpgIMG_1410.jpgIMG_1412.jpg
Well, finally got to work on the boat some. Cut the top of the hump out to reveal a water soaked core of some type of wood. Grinded everything down to the floor and through the cracks. The hull is even thinner than I thought. Looked like only a layer of mat then a layer of roving, the wood core then the same??? Anyone know what the factory layup is on these boats? Damn this is getting expensive. Just picked up the marine ply, a sheet of 1/4 ($50) for the hump , and 1/2" ($84) for the floors. Thinking of putting two part foam in the floor to help floatation and hull flex. I'll keep posting pics for those interested.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you get the multiple overlaping layers to lay flat with air bubbles?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You have to use one of these...
GlassRoller.jpg

Always keep it soaking in Acetone or you'll ruin it.