How to remove seized carb main jets

Anyone have a suggestion on how to remove main jets that do not want to come out? 95 ELPTO 115 HP. I need to re-jet for high altitude and the little buggers wont budge. These ones screw into the float bowl well at the bottom. You pull an access plug to get at them from the side. I've not destroyed the screwdriver slots yet. Pencil torch em? Is there a better jet tool out there?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
After reading what you have I would replace the carb
Should also be in OB section
Problem is, that appears to be a $300 choice, for each carburetor - of which I believe there are 4. All because jets are obnoxiously stuck.

If you want to use heat, try just a soldering iron. At least that way you control heat flare.

Yes replacing the carbs is not financially feasible. Long story short, I can always drill the jet and insert an easy out but that is like a last resort. Also, each carb has a different size jet from the factory, I only will 2 because I can reagrange a couple...if I do not destroy them.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That a plastic or aluminum bowl?

Also, another reasonable alternative is if you need to go larger, get a set of jet reamers. Not expensive. May have to trim them as you go so they don't hit bottom.

That a plastic or aluminum bowl?

Also, another reasonable alternative is if you need to go larger, get a set of jet reamers. Not expensive. May have to trim them as you go so they don't hit bottom.
Aluminum bowls and I need to go smaller since the boat is running at 6000 feet elevation. She's a wee bit fat.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you don't already have the exact right blade screwdriver, might consider a set like this one that have all sizes hollow ground. And a big 'DUH' for paying attention to getting jets out but not the reason for same.

That is one helluva screw driver set. I might order that just because. The jet is in the float bowl without any other jets or seals. Being its aluminum and the jet is brass there should be large expansion differential with heat. Am I missing something on harming the float bowl with heat?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I wouldn't think you would hurt anything with a controlled and timely application. Goal is just to expand the brass jet, not heat the bowl with it, breaking loose any intervening corrosion or deposits and maybe loosening a bit on the fit. Then let the jet cool before cranking on it.

I have had that screwdriver set for years. Great quality. Even after 20 or more years there are a goodly number I have never needed to use.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you can, use a soldering gun/ iron to heat the brass, then rapid cool with a piece of ice...have done it in the past, no garentee but it worked for me..