how to remove lower unit on a 1954 evinrude fleetwin 7.5

patridger

Seaman Apprentice
i unbolted the lower unit near the impeller, pulled down and it would only go so far. the shift lever would move to reverse as i pulled down. how do i disconect the drive shaft or gears.

patridger

Seaman Apprentice
Re: how to remove lower unit on a 1954 evinrude fleetwin 7.5

that helped a lot man, thanks.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yes, unfortunately the 5.5's and 7.5's have to have the powerhead removed to unbolt the shift linkage which is right below the powerhead. It's not that bad but quite often you will need to replace the base gasket under the powerhead when you do it. Unless it doesn't rip and is in good shape. They're cheap (but tricky to make) but you have to make the effort of going to get it. Quite often when they sell a water pump kit for those engines they will include the gasket.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

More important than the gasket is the seal. Pay special attention when dissasembling it. Be sure that the consumable parts are replaced BEFORE reassembling the powerhead or you are going to have a NFG powerhead.

patridger

Seaman Apprentice

whats NFG? I was thinking of just going in and changing rings, you guys think that would be enough, or should i go all out. what are some signs of a scored cylinder?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Maybe we should get some insight on what your problems are here? What led up to this work? Have you done a compression test?

By the way (BTW), NFG is "No "insert expletive here "Good" :)

patridger

Seaman Apprentice

no compression test, it feels like its got good compression. I just figured i got the engine off so why the hell not. But basicly im just changing the gear case oil and gaskets and replacing the ignition. Then gonna add a fuel pump for single line. I dont know the last time the engine was rebuilt so i dont know its reliability, im just looking for others opinions.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

If it runs well...why re-ring???

Definitely change the impeller & lower crank seal, however.

Mas

patridger

Seaman Apprentice

are years 1954 and 1955 the same.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes and no. There was a change in the hood mounts, and the lower unit gear teeth are different.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh, good to know. Is this true on the CD's as well? I have one of each now (54 and 55) and they share the same L/U's as the Fleetwin..

A good compression on that motor should be about 75 psi or better. You also want the numbers to be the same on both if possible.

If you do, decide to replace the rings, you want to check the cylinder walls for any scratches or scoring and the same with the pistons. That model year as well as the CD Johnson was designed to run on 16:1 and often times people skimp on the mix. Some don't fare too well, after years of operation. From what I gather, the Fleetwins were famous for blowing rods, so you'll want to check the crank and rods over really good. Also check over the main journals in the block too. I have a newly acquired '54 Fleetwin myself and I got pretty lucky with the mechanical condition of it. Before I even ran it, I got 75 psi on both jugs and I popped off the bypass covers and the pistons looked good on the intake side. That is one thing you can do, to get an idea on the condition of your pistons. Just pull the bypass covers and exhaust cover and get a visual of your pistons.

patridger

Seaman Apprentice

is there a tourque for the bypass covers and exhaust cover

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Absolutely. But I'm currently in Florida and I don't have my books with me so don't know them. Someone will chime in with them.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Torque_Specs.jpg

patridger

Seaman Apprentice

thats awesome. i want to put a fuel pump on for single line, what flow rate would you recommend.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What type of pump are you planning on using?

You could go with a factory look with an OEM pump from the 60's, then there is the Mikuni or Briggs aftermarket route.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That will work fine for the 7.5, the only trouble is finding somewhere to mount it.

If you need any help with it, let us know