How to remove inboard engines from Carver aft cabin sedans?

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok my best buddy has an 88 Carver 32 aft cabin, twin 5.7 mercruiser IB. Right under the salon floor, have to remove the salon furniture to fully open hatches.

I am looking at a similar Carver that needs engines (always wanted to buy one and repower) but I want experienced advice how to remove the small blocks.

My thoughts...

1) strip the blocks and somehow block/tackle/winch out the narrow companionway door
2) take the flybridge and roof deck off (!!!) and lift from above

Anyone have experience with this? Companionway entrance to the salon is narrow - 30" or less I bet.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to remove inboard engines from Carver aft cabin sedans?

Ok my best buddy has an 88 Carver 32 aft cabin, twin 5.7 mercruiser IB. Right under the salon floor, have to remove the salon furniture to fully open hatches.

I am looking at a similar Carver that needs engines (always wanted to buy one and repower) but I want experienced advice how to remove the small blocks.

My thoughts...

1) strip the blocks and somehow block/tackle/winch out the narrow companionway door
2) take the flybridge and roof deck off (!!!) and lift from above

Anyone have experience with this? Companionway entrance to the salon is narrow - 30" or less I bet.

Ayuh,.... Just like any other hull,... Ya take the boat apart til ya can do whatever needs doin'....

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. This virtually kills the project, in my opinion. It is not like these are designed with bolt off cabin tops, strange, wonder what the designers are thinking (with any of these aft cabin cruisers).

there is a new 39 Carver aft in my marina, seems like it would be easier to cut a whole in the bottom of the hull than disrupt all the deck and salon space over the engines!

Is there another website - no offense - with more cabin cruiser owners?

Bondo

Staff member

Is there another website - no offense - with more cabin cruiser owners?

Ayuh,.... google up boatered...