How to properly use OMC Gel Seal to assemble my 1991 40 hp johnson crank and cyl head

MudLake

Seaman
I have bored out my 40 hp rebuild and am in the process of assembly.

What is the proper use for the omc gel seal?
Is there a document on its use.
My manual is very vague on the process of application.

thanks

doug

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to properly use OMC Gel Seal to assemble my 1991 40 hp johnson crank and cyl

Just be sure to use it sparingly. A bead about 1/16th wide is big enough. En-circle all bolt holes. Allow it to cure for a day before you fire it up. The head gasket is a different story. You may have a gasket that doesn't require sealant as it's impregnated with sealant already. It will be stamped "Do not use sealant" somewhere on it. If it doesn't, I would use a gasket sealing compound on both sides of the gasket (again sparingly).

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to properly use OMC Gel Seal to assemble my 1991 40 hp johnson crank and cyl

We would use our finger tips to tap the sealent,kinda puts little lifts to the stuff,we would tap it around the whole sealing surface,if done right you can control the amount by the color,you will understand by trying it,if you use too little ,it will be a very lite pink,too much brings it to the color of a dab of it,you kinda want somewhere in between,this process insures total coverage ,and,I (we)never had an issue.I worked in a powerhead rebuild shop for years.