how to make homemade throttle cables and shift lever

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need some one to tell me or direct me to where or how to make home made throttle cables that work on a push and pull system.

I also need to find a way to make a home made gear shift lever for a 1980 25 hp. Mariner. It was a tiller handle but converting it over to console. I just can't spend much money on it. I figure a lawn mower throttle cable assembly would work if I could figure out how to hook it up and make it work.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: how to make homemade throttle cables and shift lever

... home made throttle cables that work on a push and pull system.... make a home made gear shift lever for a 1980 25 hp. Mariner. ...I just can't spend much money on it. ...

I see a few problems right off the bat.. :lol: My advice is find a local marine repair shop, or a custom machine shop maybe and explain to them what you are trying to do... you might find it easier to simply buy existing used parts and doing a mix n mash of a few pieces from different manufactures... making ANYTHING custom/one off/homemade is almost always going to cost you more in the end than simply buying something that is existing, and maybe modifying it. Dont know your exp. or knowledge level with mechanical things, or boats, but shifter and throttle assy's are a pretty important thing on a boat, if you build something yourself you need to know its going to be reliable, and you can 'guess' but you cant know that completely until it breaks the first time.. :laugh:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

To be a bit blunt if you cant afford controls then you don't need to own a boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You won't be able to jury-rig a safe, reliable remote control. Try Lanier Marine Liquidators over in Dawsonville. They sell off of hundreds of junk boats. Cash is king there.

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I just took a quick look in ebay - looks like you could get a Commander 2000 controller and shifter and throttle cables for about $300 total.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would control cables work on a motor that only has the manual reserve, neutral, forward that is on the side of motor?

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

nickcunn i have my old 75 mercury 115hp and the shifter cable and throttle seized up with a little hunting and a little luck i was able to get the exact part to replace the old seized and broken on from a boat salvage yard. i ended up paying 150 cash instead of 3 or 4 hundred for something that i would still have to make work.

Last thing want or need is to be going full board out on the lake and have the snap or jam and next thing your scrambling.

gotta be safe dude all the iboats brothers and sisters never want to see bad stuff happen to fellow boaters

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I need some one to tell me or direct me to where or how to make home made throttle cables that work on a push and pull system.

I also need to find a way to make a home made gear shift lever for a 1980 25 hp. Mariner. It was a tiller handle but converting it over to console. I just can't spend much money on it. I figure a lawn mower throttle cable assembly would work if I could figure out how to hook it up and make it work.

You wouldn't use a lawn mower throttle for your car or truck to fix the gas peddle would ya? Live's are depending on this system working as it should, go find a used one that fits or buy a new one that works as it was designed. Just not the place to cobble things this important. If you can't spend $$ then sell the boat or save your funds.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

would control cables work on a motor that only has the manual reserve, neutral, forward that is on the side of motor?

That's where they hook up. You'll need some adaptor fittings - again look to salvage yards/ebay.

Here's what the shifter and throttle cable attachments look like on my '82 30 HP - which should be very similar to yours:

Attachments

• DCP_0839.jpg
    DCP_0839.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 2

shrew

Lieutenant

Ok, Where is just a weird question. I would make them in a space which is appropriate for a fabrication project. So i'm thinking the bathroom and bedroom are going to be out of the question. Maybe a workshop?

In all seriousness, It woul be irresponsible for someone to advise you on how to proceed with such a project. If your jury rigged steering or throttle system fails, you are a hazzard to other boaters as well as the passengers on all vessels.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

yes,

I added controls to my 9.8 tiller. one cable connects where the tiller cable once connected, the other connects to the shifter mechanism under the cowl.

BTW, if you monitor craigslist and ebay, you may be able to find new in box controls and cables for about $140 like I did.