how to make an old boat shine again

Status
Not open for further replies.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1975 Glastron V-178 and though it is in great condition, im looking for ideas on how to make the finish shine brightly again. I gave it a good soapy bath, but once it dries, the surface feels chalky...i did put a coat of wax on it but it doesn't take long for that chalky feel to come back...what can i do to bring back the shine and keep it shining...Thanks!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to make an old boat shine again

hi bud.....welcome to the dry dock.....

just do an advanced search on this forum about re surfacing gellcoat....or rubbing compund... that should bring up the proper posts.

if you cant find any thing...ill re type it......but either way you cut it.......it needs elbow grease.....and lots of it.....no miracle cure

skargo

Banned

Try vaseline, it has worked for many of us. Apply during a hot day, let set overnight, remove excess with paper towels. Go boating. I've personally done it, it removed ALL chalkiness.

Here's a pic of my 33yo boat.

270016_10150721854285147_504070146_19941663_8175949_n.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Try vaseline, it has worked for many of us. Apply during a hot day, let set overnight, remove excess with paper towels. Go boating. I've personally done it, it removed ALL chalkiness.

Here's a pic of my 33yo boat.

270016_10150721854285147_504070146_19941663_8175949_n.jpg

Please .. dont use this method ..

If you do then your on your own ..

Im NOT going to debate this petrol issue again .. Frolic in the magic cures ..

You have been warned ..

YD.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Per this forum - I did it the hard way. 600-grit, then 1200, and finally 1800 grit sandpaper. Followed this with rubbing compound, then a polish and finally wax. Took 3-days but looks factory new.

Ben

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't want to downplay a so called "magic cure", but I will strongly urge not to do it. There is no silver bullet or magic cure for oxidation; elbow grease and compound is the only lasting approach. Post some pics so we can see what you're dealing with.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well.......i guess that takes care of the magic cure idea,,,,,

skargo

Banned

To the original poster. It costs $2 and an hour, why not try it? It does NOT hurt anything, and it works. Seems people here want you to work hard, not smart.
The people saying it doesn't work have never tried it LOL. It's not magical,. it just works. It does not have petroleum in it, like some people ASSume. It is a BYPRODUCT, but because people see it called petroleum jelly, they think it;s made of petroleum.

Do a search here on vaseline, MANY have used it successfully! Good luck.

skargo

Banned

Please .. dont use this method ..

If you do then your on your own ..

Im NOT going to debate this petrol issue again .. Frolic in the magic cures ..

You have been warned ..

YD.
You obviously ARE wanting to debate it, quoting me and my photo. OP, you have been warned, this guy is wrong.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I wonder if WD40 would work better than vaseline?... it's the redneck way yanno!

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I personally tried the vasoline method about a month ago and let sit for 2 days in 90 degree sun. Figured what's the worse that could happen? If it didn't work I'd have a lot of work sanding and buffing anyway so here we go. Went on easy, looked great, wiped off easy, still looked great. Like I said about a month later it doesn't look as bad as it did before vasoline but it is wearing off. I think its a monthly application "bandaid" if you will. This fall I will be sanding and buffing as stated above. Good luck with the arguments you are in for on this subject as you will find there are 2 methods that will be debated till the end of time.

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1975 Glastron V-178 and though it is in great condition, im looking for ideas on how to make the finish shine brightly again. I gave it a good soapy bath, but once it dries, the surface feels chalky...i did put a coat of wax on it but it doesn't take long for that chalky feel to come back...what can i do to bring back the shine and keep it shining...Thanks!

Mine was the same way when i bought it. Even the maroon was chalky white plus it had wall to wall scratches that I'd never gotten out using even 400 grit paper. I made up my mind to re gel coat so i got my DA sander out with 150 grit paper on it. While sanding i noticed the scratches going away with good color still under the scratches. Just for the heck of it i put some 400 grit on my orbital sander to take out the scratches from the 150 grit and then after that wet sanded ending up at 1500 grit then compounding and buffing after the compounding. I didn't care for maroon before this but it's really pretty now. If you ask me it's probably glassier now than when it was new.

If you decide to sand to bring the shine back be aware weather by hand or DA or orbital you need to work large areas when doing so and if you don't have scratches don't start out with 150. 320 or 400 would probably be a good starting point.

Attachments

• IMG_6024 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6024 (Medium).JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6070 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6070 (Medium).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6041 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6041 (Medium).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 0

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many products and opinions out there....

I went with Aqua-Buff and a 2500 RPM polisher from harbor freight. I went this way because I know from previous experience a high-speed polisher is needed for the cutting compounds to work and Aqua-Buff is water based for easy cleanup/hosedowns. Cost for all this was $75.

8 hours for the job - I took my time only want to do this once. My boat shined right up. Followed up with 2 coats Mequiers wax and I use Lucas SlickMist for quick details throughout the season.

Last year when I bought it. It was all chalky and dull. 95 Wellcraft.
124_0909600x337.jpg

This year.
DSC00286.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

PS - I did have to re-paint the red stripe and I added the vinyl graphics.

Better than new :)

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many products and opinions out there....

That's a fact. What makes one person happy is good but may not be good enough for the next so to each their own. I spent weeks sanding and buffing on mine and i have to agree with you that it's not something i want to do again. I do believe that buffing one or two times a year after bringing them back up to shape will eliminate most of the need of what we went through to get them back where they are. I went with a spray on synthetic wax in hopes that it will get into the pores a little better. I've been using it on my truck for the last 6 months and getting twice the washings in between apps compared to regular carnuba wax.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You obviously ARE wanting to debate it, quoting me and my photo.

Actually.. no I dont want to debate this issue Again.. the dead horse has been beaten,kicked,proded and pounded over and over again here in the forum ..

I believe I have said in a previous post that you can use V if you need a quick inexpensive fix to a weary hull.. but It will not be a permanent solution.

Here is what your putting on your Boat when using V

"
[h=2]Ingredient Glossary[/h]
BORAGO OFFICINALIS SEED OIL
An emollient; specifically, a botanical oil rich in triglycerides (which are building blocks of skin lipids) and antioxidants (which are a part of nature's defense and repair mechanisms).

BUTYLENE GLYCOL
A humectant material that binds with water molecues and holds them in skin cells.

CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE
An emollient; helps seak in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

CARBOMER
A thickener; gives lotion a thick, rich feel.

CETYL ALCOHOL
An emulsifier; an ingredient that helps to hold the lotion together. These ingredients are what keep all the other ingredients blended together in a smooth, creamy product.

CLYCERYL STEARATE
An emulsifier; an ingredient that helps to hold the lotion together. These ingredients are what keep all the other ingredients blended together in a smooth, creamy product.

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE
A silicone; gives lotion a smooth, skily feel.

DIMETHICONE
An occlusive emollient material made from silicone, dimethicone helps seal in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

DISODIUM EDTA
A preservative; essential to keep lotion fresh every time you want to use it.

DISTEARLYDIMONIUM CHLORIDE
An emulsifier; an ingredient that helps to hold the lotion together. These ingredients are what keep all the other ingredients blended together in a smooth, creamy product This particular emulsifier iteracts with the skin surface to provide a silky skin feel.

DMDM HYDANTOIN

ETHYLENE BRASSYLATE
An odor neutralizer to help mask any unpleasant odors from certain essential ingredients. Because Intensive Rescue products are unfragranced, they do not hide their ingredients behind a wall of heavy perfume.

GLYCERIN
A humectant or "water magnet" that binds with water molecules and holds them in skin cells. Glycerin effectively replicates the role of your skin's own natural moisturizing factor.

GLYCERYL STEARATE

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) STEROL
An emollient; specifically, a botanical oil rich in triglycerides (which are building blocks of skin lipids) and antioxidants (which are a part of nature's defense and repair mechanisms).

GLYCOL STEARATE

HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL

HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE

ISOPROPYL ISOSTEARATE
An emollient and humectant; helps seak in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

ISOPROPYL PALMITATE
An emollient; helps seal in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

LACTIC ACID
An Alpha Hydroxy Acid that helps soften hard calloused skin.

LECITHIN
A natural phospholipid known to be an important component of healthy cell membranes.

LINOLEIC ACID
An essential fatty acid known to be a building block for skin ceramides (which are components of a healthy lipid barrier).

LINOLENIC ACID
An essential fatty acid that is a building block for skin ceramides (which are components of a healthy lipid barrier).

MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE
A structurant (or a thickener) to give the lotion a rich, elegant consistency. Structurants add thickness to the formula without adding heaviness or stickiness to the lotion.

METHYLPARABEN

MINERAL OIL
An emollient; helps seak in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

PEG-100 STEARATE

PETROLATUM
Pure Vaseline Petroleum Jelly has been caring for skin over 130 years. It is an occlusive emollient that seals water within your skin and its cells. Petrolatum fills in for lost lipids to help restore skin's all-important barrier function - keeping the outside world out, and the moisture in.

PHENOXYETHANOL

POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE
A neutralizing agent used to maintain the pH of lotions.

POTASSIUM LACTATE
Used to maintain the pH of the AHA at an effective level.

PROPYLPARABEN

SODIUM CHLORIDE
Works with cationic emulsifer.

SODIUM HYDROXYPROPYL STARCH PHOSPHATE

STEARETH-21

STEARIC ACID

STEARYL STEARATE

TAPIOCA STARCH
A thickener; this particular thickener gives lotion a smooth, silky feel.

TITANIUM DIOXIDE
An opacifier that helps bring out the clean white color of the lotion.

TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E ACETATE)
A material naturally found in skin as a natural anti-oxidant.

TRIETHANOLAMINE

WATER
Water is fundamentally essential to quickly restore the flexibility of your skin's dry surface layers, but it requires additional ingredients to keep it locked in.

XANTHAN GUM
A thickener; gives lotion a thick, rich feel."

SOURCE http://vaseline.com/Template2.aspx?Path=Consumer/Glossary/Home

OP, you have been warned, this guy is wrong.

Its "YD" .. not "guy" .. Its also "incorrect in his opinion" NOT "wrong"..

Rear Admiral eh .. My spidey feelers are tingling that this thread might be locked here Real soon ....as Antagonistic post I will NOT stand for.

PEACE OUT

YD.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

My red stripe was the same color pink as calvinator's. Applied Vaseline to mine and it looks like this without repainting the stripe.

Attachments

• IMG-20110430-00303.jpg
    IMG-20110430-00303.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20110715-00403.jpg
    IMG-20110715-00403.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

To the original poster. It costs $2 and an hour, why not try it? It does NOT hurt anything, and it works. Seems people here want you to work hard, not smart.
The people saying it doesn't work have never tried it LOL. It's not magical,. it just works. It does not have petroleum in it, like some people ASSume. It is a BYPRODUCT, but because people see it called petroleum jelly, they think it;s made of petroleum.

Do a search here on vaseline, MANY have used it successfully! Good luck.

I worked for a major oil refiner. It is a by product. A petroleum by product. With trace petroleum in it. Where did you get your info?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Who cares what it is or what is in it? It is obviously safe or people wouldn't be using it on baby's butts and their own skin. It doesn't harm anything or anyone and it makes my 25 year old boat shine again.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

.Who cares what it is or what is in it? It is obviously safe or people wouldn't be using it on baby's butts and their own skin. It doesn't harm anything or anyone

Um..yea.. I care..and I would never put that crap on my baby.

Did you look and/or research my past thread about the V.. Direct from Vs' page.

YD.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I truly hope this does not come across as antagonistic...just good natured debate.

I get that it is sacrilegious for some people to consider using it on a boat. It is like telling an MD that you are going to a chiropractor rather than having back surgery. The MD cries "Quack!". However, chiropractors work fantastic for some of us.

Vaseline won't hurt anything for those of us who try it. It is made for the skin, so it is highly unlikely that it will make your gel coat bubble and peel off or eat through the fiberglass and sink your boat.

Direct from V's page --
Vaseline? Petroleum Jelly is a mixture of mineral oils, paraffin and microcrystalline waxes that, when blended together, create something remarkable - a smooth jelly that has a melting point just above body temperature. The result - it literally melts into skin, flowing into the spaces between cells and the gaps in our lipid barrier. Once there, it re-solidifies, locking itself in place.

Vaseline? Petroleum Jelly serves two functions: First it helps keep the outside world out - it protects skin from the effects of weather and exposure. Second, it acts like a sealant to help keep the inside world in - it forms an occlusive barrier to the natural water loss of our skin. So skin that is dry and chapped is protected from drying elements, enabling skin-softening moisture to build up naturally from inside the skin itself.

Not from V's website, but people commonly use it to:
Prevent diaper rash;
Heal Chapped lips;
Soften dry skin;
Put on teeth so lips and/or lipstick won't stick to teeth;
Improve eczema;
Heal and protect cuts, burns, and wounds (including on new tattoos);
Protect skin from adverse weather;
Remove make-up;
As lip gloss;
Groom eyebrows;
Improve eyelashes;
Soften cuticles...

It was made for use "on" people.

We rub stuff on our boats that would eat through skin and/or bone (muriatic acid, acetone,...), but are afraid of what a skin moisturizer might do?

If you try it and don't like what the Vaseline does, remove it with a little acetone and do it another way.

Like YD said, "it is not permanent". If you do it right and like it, you will still have to do it 2 or 3 times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.