How to keep people from using your dock when you're not there?

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class
This weekend we arrived at our lakeside camp to find that a giant pontoon party boat had tied up and disgorged umpteen drunken idiots onto our dock and camp.

In the process, they damaged the dock (I didn't build it, and admittedly it isn't a great design but we now own it and we know not more than one person beyond the last support poles, etc.)

To say I was livid is an understatement.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas for keeping unwanted people from docking when you are away?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: How to keep people from using your dock when you're not there?

first, make sure you can legally do anything. In some jurisdictions in the US at least, docks are essentially public property and you can't legally kick someone off.

Anyway, assuming you DO have a legal right, I'd start by just posting a couple no-trespassing signs. If that doesn't work, add a sign about violators being shot on sight!

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mine.jpg?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Realistically a no trespassing sign is all you can do, and it may give you a little protection if someone gets hurt on it.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

If it is signed properly and allowed under state statute, check local, State regs. or Federal, all you have to do is call law enforcement and they can be issued a citation and released (depending upon the state in the US). Now, if they are intoxicated I can almost bet one or more of them will obstruct the process..which will result in more charges, possibly detox or jail.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Get one of these.

grizzly-growl.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

In Michigan, trespassing is not enforced as well as the land owners would like, so first time they are asked to leave then the second time they are ticketed. We see it allot when hunting season comes around, trespassers will just take the ticket and hunt where ever they chose, and if they get caught, it's cheaper than owning, leasing, or anything legal. The signs are a must, to even get a ticket wrote. I feel your pain, these same law breakers will sue you if they are injured on your dock or land, so you cant win.

UncleWillie

Captain

As others have stated, Call the local police and report the trespass.
The boat at the dock may be one thing, but the intoxicated people on private land is certain to be a trespass situation even in Canada.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

To continue with the mine theme, a few carefully placed submerged rocks nearby your berths that only you and guests know about might be a deterrent. We saw this on some really nice lakefront homes on Lake Winni earlier this summer, not sure if it was intentional or not, but seemed effective. We were only aware of certain close in submerged obstacles because we were also exploring on SUP's and had calm water visibility. Admittedly this is aggressive and is a safety issue, disclaimer made.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

how about chain link fence around the dock with barbed wire at the top.... add a couple gates and locks and viola no trespassers.

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just stick 3 or 4 signs around the dock that all say "Caution: Wing Dam"

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

We have free-standing posts in the water on both sides of the dock, out far enough so that the boats can be tied up with 4 mooring lines. When not in use there is a chain across the opening where the boat would normally be.

shrew

Lieutenant

We saw this on some really nice lakefront homes on Lake Winni earlier this summer, not sure if it was intentional or not, but seemed effective.

Placing the rocks is not intentional (That is just the lake, like most in NH). However, not marking them is.

haulnazz15

Captain

On our lakes, placing a "No Trespassing" or "Private Dock" sign is enough to show that using it is a ticket-able offense. I'd be wary of placing any permanent obstructions on or around it simply because it would probably be me who would end up on the wrong side of it, as well as it limiting the complete utilization of my dock.

dvtran

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've been boating for 25 years and I have never step foot on anyone's dock that did not know I was coming. Common sense would usually tell someone, the dock that is floating directly in front of someone else's house/cabin is not yours to tie up to and use as your own. I can't believe it is that much of a problem where some of you live.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Forget the No Trespassing signs. Try one that says: "CAUTION! Protected Water Snake Habitat". :lol:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

or caution attack gator

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You could scatter some gravel on the top of the pier. That'd take care of barefoot people.

Drunken? In Canada? I'm impressed that they could afford to get intoxicated with beer costing $12.99 a six pack plus 13-15% sales taxes. But you're luck to get 60 cents back with returning the bottles.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Caution tape,easily removed,makes em think its broken......