How to get rid of fiber glass oxidation?

Hey, everyone. I've never used a boat forum before, usually stick to cars, but this is cool! We have a 1993 Four Winns Horizion 210 with an OMC Cobra 5.8 liter V8, which we've had since new. It has stayed in pretty much mint condition for 16 years and we love the boat very much. We took it out of storage today and washed and waxed the hull. Next weekend will be a FULL interior detail by yours truly. Unfortunately the back of the boat gets direct sunlight during the day and has oxidized enough to look really really ugly. The wax didn't really do much; it just left streaks in that area. I use a lot of Meguiars products on my car, and notice they have a Boat/RV section online. Anyone ever use any of their products that claim to get rid of fiber glass oxidation? I'd also love to clean up the cover as it's getting a little ratty, but am hesitant to put it in the washer machine. Any other recommendations are very much welcome! Thanks!

Here's the victim (before the wash and wax this morning):

DSC03079.jpg

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to get rid of fiber glass oxidation?

ive used the meguires 3 step marine restoration set.....it works good. alot of work, since you rub the whole boat out 3 times. it brought my chalky hull (waaay worse than yours) back to a shine at least. still looks pretty good though. Theres a thread floatin around about vaseline working good, I'm trying that next.

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your boat actually looks really good! There isn't as much oxidation as I was expecting when I opened this thread..

I went from this:
Image046.jpg

To this:
Image054.jpg

Using Meguier's products. I started out with "Meguier's Cut" to get through the oxidation. I then went to "Meguier's Color X," which did a good job of bringing back the color. I finally went with a wax called "Pro Gold" (that is the name and brand of the wax) to give a good seal. Held up pretty well, but it could use another coat this year.

CHEVYJEFF

Seaman Apprentice

VASALINE: Read about it here and it works. Just did the dark green glecoat on my regal and it looks better then I ever got it to w/ rubbing compound and wax.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Vasiline there is a post with pic. Its works great better then anything I have ever used dont be an a.. like me i spent 100 bucks on 3m products and my boat looked a little better but nothing compared to the vasline 3 buck and I have enough to last me year and can be put in in 5 mins compared to the 4-5 hours with compound wax etc

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have a long term report on the vaseline? Did it get yellow or hurt the boat in any way?

I'm considering this instead of wax...

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used vasoline about 3 weeks ago, my boat looked like md-lucky's.Vasoline didnt give me the results he got,BUT I spent 10 dollars and it looks great close to md's but not quite the shine,the regulars at the lake asked me if I repainted,lol. I spread it on thick in 85 degree sun,let it set for a day then washed it with dawn dishwashing soap.Gonna wax it tomorrow.I didnt take before and after picks,wish I had though....
I to was worried about long term afftects,but I figured as bad as it looked prior to the vasoline,it couldnt hurt.Glad I did it. I picked the tip up here on iboats so I was hoping it was solid info !!!!So far so good.

JC

Thanks guys. Actually the sides of the boat are not bad at all. There's pretty much no oxidation on the bottom portion. The top white part is a little dull though. The real problem is on the REAR of the boat. I didn't take any pictures of the rear, but I had a video of starting it up the first time this year (out of water - sounds great) and you can see how bad the oxidation is. I slathered it with Vaseline a couple days ago and left the boat, haha. I'm going back Thursday and I'll wipe it off. It looked REALLY good just with the vaseline on it though. If all else fails I may just keep a can of the stuff in the boat and apply when necessary. Thanks for the help everyone! Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RP-YYScEg

Friscoboater

Captain

I actually did the old 1000 grit sand paper and buffer trick. I have an 81 Glastron with glitter and the looked aweful. 5 hours of work and it looks pretty good. I am thinking about the Vaseline trick too.

skargo

Banned

Another vote for Vaseline, did mine 3-4 weeks ago and she looks great, and cleans up very easy. I had her in a slip for the 4th weekend, Friday to Monday, and whem I pulled her out she cleaned right up!

t_brown1986

Seaman

Another two thumbs up for the ole vasoline!!! Mine done over a month ago and still looks great...

a70eliminator

Captain

I tried vaseline some time ago and it did absolutely nothing, I must have not done it right, I never left it on there just wiped it on and then wiped it back off. anyhow my entire hull looked just like the corners of your transom same color too white bottom with red sides, I scrubbed and buffed till my arm about broke used many different solutions, what finally brought back the shine was some mcguires oxidation remover and a variable speed buffer was a must have, I spent two weekends buffing with the electric buffer pratically wore it out, and went through a gallon jug of compound, do respond back on the vaseline trick I'm very curious because when my red got chalky like yours nothing less then an electric buffer and some compound would touch it.

Namenottaken

Cadet

Hey guys,.. Not saying the vasoline trick aint a good thing, but I worked in a vette shop when I was in high school. There was a vasoline trick the shade tree body guys would use.. Instead of taping up the car, they would wipe down whatever was not to be painted with the stuff.. The guy I worked for told me once, that he would kill me if he saw me with vasoline, amorall, gunk engine cleaner, or anything else that was a petrol based near one of the cars in the shop.. If you read labels, you will see that alot of this stuff aint good for paint... Even wax, if left on a car thick enough will mark the paint. Thats why it says, apply to the applicator, not the car.. I don't know what finish is on your boat, but I think I would ask a good paint guy before greasing up my boat.

Namenottaken

Cadet

Your right,.. Gel coat can be wet sanded and buffed out.

aaaaand the results...

The Vasoline worked GREAT! I never got a great before picture, but got a screen shot from a video. I slathered it on and left it there for a week, haha. I got back up to the lake yesterday and started my full boat detail. I put on a little too much Vasoline, as it was difficult to get off. I went through a half a roll of paper towels because once it's on the paper towel it won't come off and just smears around. Next time I will put it on more sparingly.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
DSC03114.jpg

DSC03113.jpg

And the rest of the boat, not bad for a 1993, eh?
DSC03115.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03117.jpg

a70eliminator

Captain

That does look great, stored under a roof most it's life makes a world a difference. I went out and tried smearing vaseline on my boat the very next day this thread got started and left it on there for overnight, just a small 1' spot on red gelcoat, next day wiped it off and saw no difference what so ever, I'm wondering if vaseline can go bad, I've had this tub of it in my garage for many years, I only use it on my pool pack o-rings and seals.

That does look great, stored under a roof most it's life makes a world a difference. I went out and tried smearing vaseline on my boat the very next day this thread got started and left it on there for overnight, just a small 1' spot on red gelcoat, next day wiped it off and saw no difference what so ever, I'm wondering if vaseline can go bad, I've had this tub of it in my garage for many years, I only use it on my pool pack o-rings and seals.

Hmm, I'd try a slightly bigger spot and leave it on for a few days. Does it sit in the sun? Mine was on for 7 days and got direct sun if it wasn't raining (probably half the time it was rainy). Did it look good with the Vaseline on? As soon as I put it on it brought back the deep red.

a70eliminator

Captain

I had already buffed mine out with a power buffer and compound but after a year I'm beginning to see some slight fading in blotches it's those area that I tried the vaseline with no result. I'm guessing the vaseline can transform gelcoat that looks like total crap, but if have a somewhat of a glossy shine results are nill. Oh well this time around with the buffer will be a piece of cake for me.