How to get more power

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2001 Monetrey 180 Edge with a VP 4.3l GL rated at 190hp. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what could be done to up the power. Im thinking carb and intake swap would be a good place to start, but have no idea what kind of results to expect to determine if it would be worth my time and money.

Thanks

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to get more power

Ayuh,.... Ain't that already got a 4bbl. carb on it,..??

I really dont know for sure. I have owned the boat only for a short time and never specifically checked to see if it was a 2bbl or 4 bbl. The hp rating seemed lower than some other 4.3l ive read about, so I just assumed it was a 2bbl.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

In the long run, you'll be better selling your boat and buying a boat with more horsepower.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2001 Monetrey 180 Edge with a VP 4.3l GL rated at 190hp.

Around that time Volvo only used 2bbl carbs. The higher horsepower engines you have "Heard" about are fuel injected, either TBI or MPI.
If you have a single prop drive, changing to a DP would be a big increase in hole shot, fuel mileage and maybe 1 mph on the top end.
If you already have a DP, you need EFI for anything noticeable.

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The drive is a SM-X with a 1.79 ratio. I have been searching around in here and reading some threads about getting automotive 4.3l vortec motors, that seemed to have made significant improvements in performance. Im just trying to educate myself about what options I may have down the road if I do feel like the boat cant keep up with my needs. It may be easier to get another boat, but I kinda like projects, if they make sense.

thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a 2001, even if the engine is 2000 or even 1999, it's already a Vortec V6.
Read what it says on the valve covers.

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 2001, even if the engine is 2000 or even 1999, it's already a Vortec V6.
Read what it says on the valve covers.

I will definately do that, thank you.

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Valve covers say vortec, and it has a 2bbl carb. I would have to assume that upgrading to a 4bbl carb with proper jetting, intake and hi flo air filter would have to net some usable power. I dont think that would be too expensive either. May be worth looking into.

bryen813

Seaman Apprentice

From the research i've done seems like 4bbl carb, larger sized jets, intake etc will give you efficient amount of power gain. Again this is only staying within reasonable power gain of your engine, if you are just doing it for project then it would be perfect i would imagine. But if your out for that raw end power I think that maybe your money could be better spent in shopping around for a bigger girl.

I'm very interested in how to change over to EFI, so if anyone can inform me on advantages>cost that would be awesome!

Anyways

Good luck!

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the research i've done seems like 4bbl carb, larger sized jets, intake etc will give you efficient amount of power gain. Again this is only staying within reasonable power gain of your engine, if you are just doing it for project then it would be perfect i would imagine. But if your out for that raw end power I think that maybe your money could be better spent in shopping around for a bigger girl.

I'm very interested in how to change over to EFI, so if anyone can inform me on advantages>cost that would be awesome!

Anyways

Good luck!

Do you have any links for your searches?

jkust

Rear Admiral

This topic has been covered many times. The consensus from the people much brighter than me seems to be that marine upgrades to a v6 are expensive and produce results only at the margin. That said I have not really read or heard about anyone actually doing the 4bbl upgrade here. I looked into it for my V6 after reading this article called 'Bolt on Boogie; Why buy EFI when you can get more power for a lot less'. The changed from a 2bbl to a 4bbl. The difference however in the article was the engine was a v8 and they got substantial peformance increase. http://www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=8&article_id=501&print_page=y

-Jason

n2ostroker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think you'll gain a lot as far as top end goes, maybe 1-2mph. But I think drving and playing on the boat will be better with the 4 barrel and intake. You'll probably have better response and a broader torque range. Beyond that you'll need a bigger motor.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

you can get some improvement in performance with the intake and 4bl for around $500+ (couple mph on top end, a little bit of seat of the pants increase). The real question is what do you mean by power? If you're willing to lose a couple mph on the top end to get a lot more umf out of the hole and accelleration, rty a prop that's 2" lower pitch in a 4 blade... vents on the prop can make a huge difference in the hoileshot as well.

That's a lot cheaper and much less headache than tearing into the engine...