How to fix metal screw holes

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class
My bimini has loosened up the screw holes on the metal wind shield frame. I know I can use fatter screws but what's a long term fix? Will JB Weld stand up to the wear and tear?

Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: How to fix metal screw holes

Maybe you can replace the screw with a small stainless steel screw and a nyloc nut on the back?...otherwise a larger sheet metal screw.
I doubt JB Weld is a viable solution for a windshield frame.

ziggy

Admiral

i've peened (center punched and expanded the metal) around a worn screw hole before and got it to get small enough to accept the proper machine screw. maybe run a tap behind it if ya get it small enough? use some blue or red (permanent) locktite for extra sureity it holds?

there's nutserts. not sure of the spelling. it's basically a over size rivet that has proper size female screw threads.

helicoil.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my Tinnie resto I have to replace all the deck hardware into existing holes through the aluminum. After considering number of solutions Ive decided to use Gorilla Glue to secure a wood block under the skin below the existing holes and to attach the cleats with SS screws, the wood blocks acting as anchors to the screws rather than trying to use nuts/bolts or relying on the used screw holes. Hope it works!:redface:

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks folks. I figured JB Weld wouldn't stand up to the shaking. For the same reason, I don't think I want to go with wood on the bimini.

Are "nutserts" the same as "rivet nuts"? I never checked to see if the wind shield wrapping can be removed:)facepalm:). I'm not exactly sure how I'd get a rivet set though, the wrapping on the wind shield is longer than my wrench.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for a loose wood screw (like a drawer pull) you put a match stick in the hole and replace the screw. Maybe there's something similar, even a match stick, that can go in there. But in an outdoor application I'm not sure that will last. a piece of plastic as a shim?

A technique for screw holes in fiberglass: fill the hole with 5200 (or JB weld I reckon) then drill a pilot and use a tap and die to thread the inside of the hole; screw in the right size SS bolt. Better than using a wood screw to "self-tap" in brittle fiberglass/gel coat.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

My bimini has loosened up the screw holes on the metal wind shield frame. I know I can use fatter screws but what's a long term fix? Will JB Weld stand up to the wear and tear?

Thanks

You can use helicoils. These are treaded inserts. You drill out the hole to the correct size for the insert. Tap the hole and screw in the insert. Then you use the original screw. The only issue is that you have to have the helicoil tool to place the inserts. The helicoil insert will be stronger than the original threaded hole.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Helicoil will only work if the hole is threaded and solid. A windshield frame is hollow and there is nothing to hold the threads in place. I would go with Home Cookin's Idea.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

I worry that the hole will just keep enlarging. I'd love to slip a nut or tapped bar behind the frame but don't know if that's possible.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A picture of what you are looking at might help with some answers.

How about rivets? I use the stainless steel ones on my aluminum boat all the time to attach things and to cover existing holes.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fatter screws worked, but for how long? Since I have some free time this weekend I'd like to look into this further. The metal is about 4' long on each side (butt jointed to the "front"). Can I just buy the top frame and install it myself? Is it glued to the windshield?

Thanks

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Trust me, the "rivnuts" would be your best solution. Worked in a sheet metal shop for years and they are outstanding, if you do them right.

airshot

Rear Admiral

The rivet nuts that are being refered to I believe, are as follows. You drill a larger hole into your alum frame and install the little rivetnut. The nut has a centerhole with a machine thread in it, when you install the machine screw into the rivetnut and tighten it causes the rivetnut to expand and attatch itself into the hole. You will now be able to install and remove the machine screw as much as you want without disturbing the rivetnut. I have used these before without knowing their name, but I believe them to be the same thing. And yes they would be your best bet and they do look professional, not a cobbled job.

Airshot

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

I contacted one of the manufacturers about a pour in solution and they didn't think it would work, but thanks.

I see two issues with rivnuts. One is that the sides of the holes are fairly close to where the windshield starts curving downward - so what happens with the "bite" on the sides? And, second the frame isn't exactly hollow, there's some metal in the hole that might have been a screw block at one time. Drilling that out would be tough. I don't think I will ever remove the screws so that feature wouldn't be necessary.

I guess I'll try the rivnuts when the time comes, but has anyone replaced the top frame pieces?

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Much better price for the gun. I'll try the rivet nuts next time. Has anyone used them on their windshield frame?

Thanks