How to epoxy plywood flooring?? Transom??

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys. I am a new today to this forum. I am replacing the floor and transom on a 1973 starcraft SS 16ft that I just bought. The old floor was so bad I fell threw on ever other step and the transom wood is literally falling apart. Anyways here's my question. I am going to use either 5/8" or 3/4" 7 ply exterior plywood for the floor. What epoxy should I use and how do I go about it?? Should I thin the first coat out to let it soak in?? Also I am going to spend the big bucks for the Marine plywood for the transom and should I glue it together or epoxy it together and should I epoxy the whole transom board after it is glued together?? Thanks Guys.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to epoxy plywood flooring?? Transom??

Hello and welcome to iboats. I think I have been here long enough to do one of these now.:D Welcome to the starcraft club after we see some pics WE LUV pictures. Also you might want to check this stuff out for flooring and transom http://www.nyloboard.com/ not wood but great for boats never rot. Give them a call see what they can do for ya, you might be surprised on the pricing. ;)

Andy in NY

Commander

Hi guys. I am a new today to this forum. I am replacing the floor and transom on a 1973 starcraft SS 16ft that I just bought. The old floor was so bad I fell threw on ever other step and the transom wood is literally falling apart. Anyways here's my question. I am going to use either 5/8" or 3/4" 7 ply exterior plywood for the floor. What epoxy should I use and how do I go about it?? Should I thin the first coat out to let it soak in?? Also I am going to spend the big bucks for the Marine plywood for the transom and should I glue it together or epoxy it together and should I epoxy the whole transom board after it is glued together?? Thanks Guys.

there are a few different directions you can go.

first option for the floor, cost effective... use poly resin, coat the underneath and sides of the ply. once its in place, a layer of fiberglass mat for strength. then paint or carpet, but know that if youve never done glass work then you will probably be able to see every seam. i dont like carpet though.

second option, epoxy resin. epoxy is more expensive, but way stronger. coat all sides of the floor and fasten in place. paint or carpet, but if you paint you will see the seams of the plywood. did i mention i dont like carpet though?

for the transon, dont waste your money on marine ply. use the same 7 layer ex grade 3/4" ply, doubles up. if using epoxy resin, you can laminate them using the epoxy. i would throw some screws and clamps for 24 hours. then remove the screws and coat the whole thing with epoxy.

if using poly, it will not bond the 2 sheets together. i went this route, and i used liquid nails, spread it out even with a v notch trowel. laminated with clamps and screws, then 24 hours later coated with 2 coats of poly.

i see it this way, the deck in my 70 jupiter lasted for 30 years with NO RESIN/GLASS, made from mahogony ply. the transom lasted 40 with no resin/glass and years of people making holes in it with no sealent.

now lets see some pics of this SS! and check out the get together thread, we are all gathering in june at lake anna in VA if you can make it...

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for help with the photo bucket ezmobee. Zrt.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No prob. Cool boat, I'm on the hunt for one of those for myself right now.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

looks alot like mine .... just shorter .. :D