how to drop lower unit

adam22

Cadet
I have a 1972 Johnson 50hp two stroke outboard. I just purchased the engine. When I drained the lower unit I noticed the oil was milky. I am not sure where the leak is. It is not losing any fluid. I want to drop the lower and replace all seals. I need some info on how to do so. I am auto-tech by trade, but very limited outboard knowledge. Any help greatly appreciated. Also any other things to inspect/replace while I have the lower off.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to drop lower unit

Adam, First you really need to have a manual.<br /> You can get one at the bottom of the page or <br />amazon.com NAPA auto parts or even the library.<br /> Dont know the specifics on your motor but heres some basic stuff. <br /> If you dont know the history replace the <br />impeller.When doing the seals keep in mind there is a driveshaft seal as well as shift rod,and<br /> prop shaft.Also the water tube grommets should be checked.<br /> Be sure to disconnect the shift when disassembling.<br /> When refilling the lube use the drain hole until<br />lube comes out the vent,put in vent plug then<br />drain plug.

NathanY

Commander

Dont forget that you HAVE to use OMC PREMIUM BLEND oil in that lower unit. That is a hydro-electric shift engine.

adam22

Cadet

I just dropped the lower unit. I think I found part of the shifting proplem I didn't mention. One off the wires the shift solenoids was pinched in the housing. Is there any way to check the solenoids while I have it apart. I already purchased Type C premium lower unit lube. A friend of mine warned me. The lube that was in there looked like 90W. Possibly done any damage? What to check for? I really appreciate your help.

adam22

Cadet

I removed the water pump impeller and the bearing and shims underneath the water pump plate. I can't seem to get the driveshaft out. Not sure what is holding it in.