How to diagnose air leak as cause of lean sneeze;1959 10hp Johnson

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a bad lean sneeze on this motor that i brought back from the dead (froze up). I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb 2x, including under welch plug & w/carb kit, replaced coils, points, condensers, plugs, wires, shut off wires & switch, fuel lines, thermostat, impeller, lower unit oil, & cleaned fuel pump. It stays running on one plug when one wire is pulled, I've set spark advance so just as butterfly begins to open roller is at the mark on the cam, spark jumps a 1/4" gap (but no more) with a tester. Fuel pump works fine pumping into a jar.Motor runs fine at mid to high speed but wont idle; just dies if I try to lower throttle. Compression is a little low (55 & 59). Might come up with a decarb but its not running well enough to try that yet. I've not yet pulled the head, saving that for last resort so as not to risk breaking off a bolt. Based on research here I think it may be an air leak in the crankcase. How do I confirm that and find the leak? Where is a leak likely to occur?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to diagnose air leak as cause of lean sneeze;1959 10hp Johnson

You can use an aerasol can of fogging oil and spray around the carb, case seals or anywhere else there is a gasket. If it is sucking air, the sneeze will stop whem you fog the bad gasket.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've also been stting the low speed at 1 1/2 turns from lightly seated and the high at 1 turn and trying to find the best setting by 1/8 turns. Sneeze occurs even with low speed needle 1 1/2 turns out

64osby

Admiral

Does it sneeze at mid range and WOT? If you make it richer at idle does it still sneeze, 2 turns out?

Fuel line connector o-rings?

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It doesnt sneeze at mid range or WOT. Does that rule out a crankcase leak? I will try turning out low speed needle some more tonight after work. Thanks.

a70eliminator

Captain

It doesnt sneeze at mid range or WOT. Does that rule out a crankcase leak? I will try turning out low speed needle some more tonight after work. Thanks.

In my experience with air leaks you cannot stall the engine by cutting off the air supply, if you can stall the engine by leaning the low speed screw then you do not have an air leak.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If your compression gauge is accurate, that compression could be a real problem. WAY too low to run properly. I hate to sound like the crabby apple, but compression is always step 1, before spending money.

Was there oil on the mag plate when you did ignition?

Did you change o rings in fuel connector?