How to determine stringer engine mount location for VP 4.3L V6

Radon17

Seaman
Hi, I'm repowering (from OMC) to VP. I don't have access to an engine foundation alignment tool so I'm trying to be methodical about it. I plan on mounting the bellhousing into the transom shield at the specified torques and an align it, then using a straightedge, measure back from the edge of the bellhousing 11-9/16", that will give me the location and center of my engine mounts. My question is this, how can I determine the height (top) of plates that mount to the stringers, these are the plates that the engine mounts bolt to. Also, the distance, center to center of the stringers is 22-1/2", is this a standard width for VP engine mounts? I was hoping to not have to drop the engine in to do this since that is not a trivial task. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to determine stringer engine mount location for VP 4.3L V6

I guess the first question would be, what drive are you installing?

I've always installed the transom shield, then install the engine and align to specs without any stringers or mount pads. Then mark and measure where you want them and how high to build them. Back off the height a 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the pad height and have the stringers and pads glassed in.

Radon17

Seaman

The drive is a VP DP-C, I've already installed the transom shield according to the installation instructions. I know the height of the engine mounts will be varied based on the transom angle / shield height. Installing the engine to align is not an easy thing for me to do, I was hoping to be able to measure it out from a properly mounted bellhousing. If you think that is too risky, my second idea was to buy a block from the junkyard and put the engine mounts and bellhousing on and fit it.

Don S

If you think that is too risky, my second idea was to buy a block from the junkyard and put the engine mounts and bellhousing on and fit it.

That would work fine.

Radon17

Seaman

Picture is the engine compartment before I replaced the cobra shield with VP enginecompartment.jpg

Don S

Man, you should have just replaced the outdrive to an SX. Same transom shield and all. Just need a crankshaft mounted raw water pump, bellhousing on the transomshield, and you would have been set. Volvo even made kits for that conversion.

Radon17

Seaman

You are killing me Don. This repower is a time and money sucker.