How to determine if I need a long shaft or short shaft for my 1986 Custom Craft boat

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up a 1986 Custom Craft with trailer for $400. Transom and floors are solid. transom measures 21 inches top to bottom. Has a bow mounted foot controlled trolling motor, live well and 5 passenger seating. Steering has been disassembled. Also has transducer and mount for a fish or depth finder but no unit and 4 mounted rod holders. I love that it has no carpet. Trailer has new bunks rollers and led lighting complete with new wiring. Trailer needs 2 new tires to be perfect. Pulls nicely behind my Colorado.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As long as you measure 21" in the center of the transom, a long shaft motor is what you need to find.

t center.PNG

GA_Boater

Good luck on the search! Hope you find a good motor without much trouble.

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had several to choose from in my area, however, most are short shafts. There is a low hour 9.9 long shaft that I will pick up tomorrow. I think it is kinda small but my dad says its perfect. Thanks again for the help.

Bill

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the size of that Custom Craft boat ? which is rated for Max ? HP. With a 9.9 you'll only be capable of probably fast displacement speed.. Boating fun comes inmediately after fast displacement speeds and that's with a much larger OB.

Happy Boating

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
A more detailed posting of pictures would help. Looking at the only picture you posted, shows a older heavy fiberglass boat. Are you going to replace the steering system or convert it into a tiller? A 9.9HP is going to be a too small for that boat. Example....I'm still working on the 15HP Merc for my 1986 Alumacraft project, as of right now I'm using my 2007 MERC 5HP 4Str...top speed 6.33 GPS mph with just me in the boat....Hardly adequate!

GA_Boater

A more detailed posting of pictures would help. Looking at the only picture you posted, shows a older heavy fiberglass boat. Are you going to replace the steering system or convert it into a tiller? A 9.9HP is going to be a too small for that boat. Example....I'm still working on the 15HP Merc for my 1986 Alumacraft project, as of right now I'm using my 2007 MERC 5HP 4Str...top speed 6.33 GPS mph with just me in the boat....Hardly adequate!

The picture with the red line is just an example to show where to measure. It is not the OP's boat.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Should we measure exactly as you illustrated or straight?:lol: