How to Clean Rust from Vinyl Seats

Racer57

Seaman Apprentice
I just starting washing my boat with well water which has a high concentration of iron. I went back to city water, but i now have rust stains on the white vinyl seats.

What is the best way to remove the stains?

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to Clean Rust from Vinyl Seats

Try this stuff called Iron Out. Its a powder that you will find either in the cleaning supplies and/or plumbing supply aisle at Home Depot/Lowes. I started using it on my son's baseball pants and now use it on everything. Never had a problem affecting colors, stitching, logos, etc. on any material.

Ben

tpenfield

Staff member

+1 for Iron Out . . . I got some in a spray bottle. There is a 'marine' variety available too, but no different than the household stuff.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not sure it will work on vinyl but before buying anything try lemon juice in the bottle. If it does not work you can make lemonade. It does work well on marble counter tops. Paper towel and keep it wet for a few minutes then scrub gently.

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is also a product called Bleche Wite, it was originally made for whitewall tires on cars... You can find it in the automotive section at Walmart or any automotive store. We use it on everything now... Most of our interior is white, and this stuff cleans it very well.. make sure to put a good conditioner on the seats and upholstery after you clean it, so it will be protected. We use Meguiar's Gold Protectant, makes the seats soft and like new

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure on vinyl, but Barkeepers Friend took rust stains off my gelcoat in a hurry with a light scrub using scotchbrite green pad and water. It too is a powder. Made my 10+ year old non-protected topside look really good with about 90 minutes of elbow grease. I still need to polish and wax, but I was impressed. You can pick it up at Home Depot or probably Wal-Mart for about $2. Cheap.

Bad_az_s10

Cadet

You might also try those Mr. Clean MAgic erasers. They ARE in fact magic and do a good job of removing stuff from vinyl and fiberglass.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

You might also try those Mr. Clean MAgic erasers. They ARE in fact magic and do a good job of removing stuff from vinyl and fiberglass.

DO NOT USE MAGIC ERASERS ON VINYL. They are effectively 1000 grit sand paper. it will take off the protective layer of the vinyl. also do not use them on the bathroom surround or your gel coat, you will be pulling out the buffer to remove the scratches left behind.

to the OP's post, Iron out works, so does most bathroom cleaners designed to remove rust stains from multiple surfaces. I use Kaboom or CLR (which ever is under the sink at the time)