How to bypass oil injection 05 Yamaha 90 TLRD

chevyww1936

Recruit
My father and I just bought a 2005 Yamaha 2-stroke 90HP Outboard. I has been sitting in a guys back yard for over 2 years without being started, but it is in amazing condition, there isn't even any paint worn off the skeg yet. Anyways, on the ride home i noticed it was leaking a lot of 2-stroke oil down the outside of the motor case so i popped to cowling off and come to find out the oil reservoir was cracked and leaking all the oil out. I have gone through all the carbs, got new fuel filter, new fuel lines and pump and hose to the tank. I have always owned motors where i mixed my own 2-stroke oil and i would like to do the same again, I know when i removed the oil injection on my yamaha four wheeler there was a kit with a block off plate and rubber nipple to close off an opening on a carb. Is there a kit out there like this that i can use? or can anyone walk me though the process so that i don't run into any problems? I know there is a sensor wired in so if it is not removed correctly its possible it could prevent me from starting the motor. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20130428_132149.jpg
    IMG_20130428_132149.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20130428_132224.jpg
    IMG_20130428_132224.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20130428_130828.jpg
    IMG_20130428_130828.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 5

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to bypass oil injection 05 Yamaha 90 TLRD

buy a new oil tank

Capt Ken

Commander

I agree. Why screw up an already good system with old style thinking.

chevyww1936

Recruit

I want to guarantee that the motor always gets oil, you can't do that with injection. Everyone knows that if you can get rid of things that can go wrong that is always a better way of doing things. I am looking for someone that can give instructions on the correct way to bypass the oil injection.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

do some searching on this and other forums and read up, it has been covered many times and always they tell you to keep up with the maintenance and keep it on Yamaha and Suzuki being gear driven

But they do tell you how to do it right if you look hard enough

Running snake oil to try and fix a problem with carbs is the biggest killer of a Yamaha motor
Just an opinion

Capt Ken

Commander

There is no correct way to delete the oil injection. That engine was built to use the oil injection system. The carbs are jetted for fuel only and not a premix. Also premixing leads to over oiling that results in heavy coking of the pistons and rings. With your thinking, why not convert the engine to points and condenser since electronic can fail also.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Running snake oil to try and fix a problem with carbs is the biggest killer of a Yamaha motor

Tell me more. I run "snake oil" (Gas-Shok) in my '03 Yami 90 as a preventive measure. Am I screwing things up?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you have a problem with motor running lean and try to make it go away by adding stuff to fuel and keep running it to see if it will get better is what I was talking about

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

99yam40, thanks for the reply. My Yami runs fine the way things are, additive or not. I was just concerned (and still am) as to whether all these chemicals on the market can have some negative effect down the road. Thanks, Mark

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Some may contain ethanol and if you are running an ethanol mix fuel already
then it may be too high of a % total and could hurt motor as Yamaha say 10 % max I believe

Run that extra stuff at your own risk, May want to stick to what Yamaha recommends