How to adjust shift linkage on Tohatsu 6 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sornstein2

Recruit
Can anyone tell me the proper procedure to adjust the shift linkage on a 6hp Tohatsu. I have the shop manual, but it's no help.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to adjust shift linkage on Tohatsu 6 hp

Is it a 2 or 4 stroke motor, does that model have a rubber grommet at middle leg ? What's the trouble you are experiencing as wanting to adjust the shift linkage ?

Happy Boating

sornstein2

Recruit

Thank you for your response, but I finally got it adjusted. It's a 4 stroke that I replaced the water pump impeller in. In the process I screwed up the shift linkage, but after studying the shift process I managed to get everything back together. Between the drive shaft, shift linkage and the water tube, they don't make it easy to replace the impeller. And I even have the Tohatsu shop manual! I ran it in a bucket of water and everything works! Again thanks.

pvanv

Admiral

Proper shift sync would be set by placing the LU cam rod in R, the shift lever in R, and snugging down the rod coupler... then verify proper operation... as you did. :)

HH3F

Cadet
Hi, have the same problem. 2003 4 stroke with the rubber grommet in the middle leg. I think the prior owner replaced the impeller and (lost the grommet) and must not have synced the linkage. Only goes into neutral and reverse. Is the fix you suggested done @ the grommet hole?
" placing the LU cam rod in R, the shift lever in R, and snugging down the rod coupler..."
Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Hi, have the same problem. 2003 4 stroke with the rubber grommet in the middle leg. I think the prior owner replaced the impeller and (lost the grommet) and must not have synced the linkage. Only goes into neutral and reverse. Is the fix you suggested done @ the grommet hole?
" placing the LU cam rod in R, the shift lever in R, and snugging down the rod coupler..."
Thanks

Yep. And get a new grommet or the exhaust will bubble out of that hole and be loud.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Take a picture of both rods and coupler resting positions through the grommet's hole. Before disassembly lower leg, check at which gear lever position the mentioned parts will be fully exposed.. Excellent idea if happens to be your first time performing DIY service. Monk patience is required on these low end HP motors than on larger ones when assembling lower legs back.

Happy Boating

Status
Not open for further replies.