How tight must wheel castle nut be?

smsscuba

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last week whilst towing my speedboat home, my left side wheel decided to escape and hurdle down the motor way while doing 60mph. I decided to replace both hubs including bearings.The thing that concerns me is that both castle nuts are only just "nipped up" with a new split pin inserted.Will the wheel be secure enough without tightening up the castle nuts too much or am I being paranoid?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: How tight must wheel castle nut be?

You tighten them too much and you'll fry the bearings. I generally tighten them down with a wrench to make sure everything is seated and then back them off and make them as tight as I can with my fingers. Never had any bearing issues on any of my trailers doing it that way.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

What has worked for me in umpteen wheel bearng replacements is.. Put in tne races, pack bearings with grease and reassemble. Tighten the castle nut whilst turning the hub by hand. When it snugs down and I start to feel resistance, I continue to tignten about another half turn or so to -seat the new bearing and race, Then back it off about a quarter turn. You want them a little looser more than a little tighter When your pulling your trailer, the bearings will warm up just a bit and will expand. So if you start out too tight they will get really tight and possible fail. I check the temp of the hubs any time I stop, to make sure they arent getting to hot..So yes, castle nuts are ALMOST fingertight, loose? Google How to adjust trailer wheel bearings for all sorts of thoughts...

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i've seen to types of wheel bearings most with cotter pins and castle nut and few weeks ago i put electric brakes on an old beast of a trailer that had just a nut not a castle nut. generally with any castle nuts you tighten it hand tight and back it off to the nearest hole that the pin will fit into however make sure the hub is tight on the axle and that theres not a half inch of play in it. you should get maybe an 1/8th of an inch at most play just enough that there is play in it[like putting the prop on your outdrive]. and while your greasing your bearings remember there is no such thing as to much grease. pack the bearings grease the shaft[not a nice job].

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

and while your greasing your bearings remember there is no such thing as to much grease. pack the bearings grease the shaft[not a nice job].

BUT if you dont wanna do it , trouble will arise and youll be sitting on the side of the road, watching everyone on there way to the lake. If all else fails go get them done a a shop , might now be cheap but its gotta get done, or else.

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Out of curiosity, how did the wheel manage to come loose? I hope you didn't have any serious damage.

beagleboy

Seaman

i've seen to types of wheel bearings most with cotter pins and castle nut and few weeks ago i put electric brakes on an old beast of a trailer that had just a nut not a castle nut. generally with any castle nuts you tighten it hand tight and back it off to the nearest hole that the pin will fit into however make sure the hub is tight on the axle and that theres not a half inch of play in it. you should get maybe an 1/8th of an inch at most play just enough that there is play in it[like putting the prop on your outdrive]. and while your greasing your bearings remember there is no such thing as to much grease. pack the bearings grease the shaft[not a nice job].
That regular looking nut should have a (not sure of name) a metal hex shaped cover with tabs and you put in a split pin. Who ever serviced these hubs earlier had some parts left over.

oldjeep

Admiral

That regular looking nut should have a (not sure of name) a metal hex shaped cover with tabs and you put in a split pin. Who ever serviced these hubs earlier had some parts left over.

Or a slotted tab washer that sits under the nut where you bend the tab up into the nut to keep it from spinning - lots of old cars had setups like that.

bigdee

Commander

I snug them tight to seat the bearings then loosen the castle nut until I can feel just a little play in the wheel when I grab it at the top and bottom. Being loose is the fail-safe side to be on.

beagleboy

Seaman

While spinning the hub tighten nut to where it starts to snug, then back off 1/4 turn to closest slot on the nut. If the races have been changed I would re check the nut after 100 miles.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Every trailer I have ever worked on, had, either a cotter pin or a washer tab, to keep the nut from walking off.