How often do you change your spark plugs?

How often do you change your spark plugs?

• Every Season

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Every So Many Running Hours

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Depends on their Condition

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Never???

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How often do you change your spark plugs?

i inspect twice a year atleast.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I inspect mine couple-trhee times a year or if I notice a change in engine performance, & change 'em when the top of the center electrode gets noticeably uneven. 2 or 2 1/2 years. Because I want to change 'em *before* they give me a problem.

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Inspect them twice a year if not more often.

Then change them one a year or sooner if there's a noticable decrease in performance. I troll alot, and two strokes combined with low revs quickly destroys plugs (after my experience).

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Spark plugs are the most unnecessarily changed parts on outboard motors. I have Etecs and the plugs won't get looked at before 300 hours unless there's a reason to do so. At 300 hours they may just go back in if they still look OK and there are no running issues.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Inspect them periodically and replace them when needed. If you don't know what a bad plug looks like, just do a google search on "reading spark plugs".

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I change them after I run the first tank of gas through the boat every season no need in not it's the cheapest part on the hole engine to fix then I have no worrys through the season

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Run until the engine misbehaves, then check first.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Every season and the old ones become the "spares" in the toolbox. Check and read the plugs about 3 times per season. Cheap maintenance item that if it costs me an extra 20 bucks per season then it is well spent for the peace of mind it has given.
Having said that a friend of mine has not even looked at his for the last 3 years and has had no issues so I guess he is 2 cases of beer up on me !!!!

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I check the plugs at the beginning of every season and replace them if necessary...I have ran motorcycles for years so I am familiar with what a faulty plug looks like..

LLB

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I replace plugs at the beginning of each season. Cheap insurance...

whywhyzed

Banned

every 75 hours or so, i.e. about every 3 years

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I replace plugs at the beginning of each season. Cheap insurance...

is it really insuring against a plug-related breakdown? I mean, is a used plug in serviceable condition more likely to break than a new one?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

is a used plug in serviceable condition more likely to break than a new one?

In my opinion, yes. I guess you could leave the old ones in there until they self-destruct, but I like to error to the side of caution. I might ask the same question if it pertained to the water pump impeller. Just because it looks good doesn't mean that it is. But I don't wait for that to fail either. $6.00 for 3 plugs is well worth my peace of mind and it works well for me...To each his own...

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 40 hp Johnson and a 6hp evinrude. My trolling motor goes through 3 times the amount of spark-plugs than the Johnson. Then of course I use the 6hp three times as much for two reasons. More fuel efficient, and cheaper to repair. Being the fact there, They both get new plugs every year without question. There cheap and it can an has ruin a good day of fishing!

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

I keep a spare set, but do not change any parts unless it is needed. Spark plugs will run for a LOT of hours in a motor that is properly tuned. If I changed plugs every year in every motor I own, it would cost WAY too much money.