How much trouble am i in???

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last week I purchased a 1984 235 evinrude off of a guy that I work with. I thought being that we worked together that he would be honest with me after tonight im now so sure. I did know when I bought it that he couldn't get it to crank over it has been sitting on the ground in his yard for at least a year and he told me he hadn't messed with it at all since he has had it. So today I finally got it up on the stand to see what was the issue. I started to remove the heads and realized that the bolts on the port side weren't very tight and had been removed already and the head just fell off when I removed the last bolt. After it falling off this is what I found.

2012-05-28_22-00-43_859.jpg

2012-05-28_22-00-53_262.jpg

2012-05-28_22-01-17_841.jpg

So I have a few questions am I totally screwed? If not can the cylinder be sleeved? I do think the head needs to be replaced. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: How much trouble am i in???

I'm no expert but it appears the block is toasted. I'm thinking that both the sleeve and the cylinder are cracked. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I on sleeved motors will chime in, but I really feel confident that the block is useless. On a positive note, if the motor is complete you can likely make 2 or 300 or more back by selling the parts. I'd think the lower unit, if functional, would be worth $300 by itself.
Sorry ,
JBJ

Last edited:

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't want to believe it but you are probably right. I hope someone has some hope for me.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If I'm seeing the pictures correctly, it looks like the sleeve has separated from the block. If so, the block is scrap.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

If he won't refund you for completely shafting you then it looks like it's time to get out your tools and fire up ebay. There are probably plenty of good parts on there. Even cowlings can go for hundreds.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think that is going to happen. I did talk to someone that said that the motor might be able to be repaired since it has a sleeve already as long as when I get deeper into it that there is not more damage the. What I can see now.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im hoping some of the experts on here that know more about the evinrudes can tell if it can be repaired.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

As already stated, it looks like the sleeve is cracked as well as the block around the sleeve. If that is correct, the block is junk. You could probably find some machine shop that would try and weld up the block and install a new sleeve, if it worked, you would have more into it than it is probably worth.
You might contact a marine rebuilder and ask their opinion.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I found rebuild power head on ebay ffor $700 is that too cheap or too expensive?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Had a small bore 200 high port block had the same problem. Mine cracked the liner and the block in the port area. Possible that the block overheated-piston heated up, then resulted in an overheat lockup that cracked the liner and block. It went into the junk pile after the rotating assembly was salvaged. Since those are high compression heads, I'd be concerned about the head with the center cyl pitting damage. Probably best to try to find a good used one somewhere. Does $700 buy the block only, or does it come with the pistons, crank and rods? Heads? Is the block a bubble back type?

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The type im not sure about it is complete motor ready to put on and run. It even has starter, carbs everything.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The reason I ask is that your 235 V6 is a bubble back engine. The lower hp V6 crossflow units (150/175/200) were flatback engines. The exhaust adapter on your 235 midsection won't adapt to mounting a flatback powerhead-you'll have to stick with a bubble back type powerhead or get a flatback exhaust adapter.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have just decided to part the motor out I have the lower and trim sold already I believe. So all the feast is up for grabs.