How much throttle cable shoud I have in splash well?

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
I have installed a 1971 Johnson 100hp with original controls on my 16.5ft bowrider. The motor was from a longer boat so I now have way too much throttle cable in the splash well. It loops entirely around the splashwell before going into the motor. I want to cut it shorter but am not sure how much to cut off and still have a wide enough sweep to allow minimal binding of the cable in the housing and allow for full swing of the motor while stearing. Is there a formula or trial and trial?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much throttle cable shoud I have in splash well?

102_0245.jpgRule of thumb for proper operation of the cables is a loop about 1-2 feet in diameter inside the splashwell. Picture shows it clearly. Too long usually doesn't pose a problem but too short and binding can occur. I have never heard of cutting the cables. The inside is piano wire and very difficult to do anything with.

If you object to the excess cables in the splashwell, loop them under the gunwale before they exit into the splashwell

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with you Frank ,.. better a wee bit too much , than too tight a radious....

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

If you can pull some back and loop it in about a 16" loop, and secure it with tywraps, it will look like a cleaner install and give you no problems. "Standard" cables are good down to an 8" radius bend (16" dia.). Morse 33C Supremes and Teleflex XTremes are good down to a 4" radius...

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

The photo of the white boat (twith the white motor) is the one I thought was too long. According to what you guys are saying it is ok. I thought it was too long because helm control was having a bear of a time pushing and pulling the throttle arm on the motor. I have subsequently found the reason for that. The grease on the throttle arm was so dried up it was slow to move by hand with the cable disconnected. Cleaning and relubing solved that problem and now everything works smoothly.

The photo of the yellow boat (with the blue top motor) shows the cable in the splashwell on my old 14.5ft. It appears to be too short, but there is several more inches that pulls out of the rear deck when I turn hard to starboard. I have used it this way for about three years without an issue although it may not be ideal. The reason it is so short is because when I got the boat the cable core was broken and I was forced to cut about 6" of the cable housing to make it work.

Attachments

• PICT0023.jpg
    PICT0023.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0021.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3