How much mist on a Gamefisher/Eska 7.5 after impeller replacement?

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice
I just finished replacing the impeller on my Gamefisher 7.5 (Eska). As per suggestions, when I installed the impeller I had the vanes curving to the right (I installed it counter clockwise) as the impeller turns clockwise when installed. After buttoning it all back up (dang it's a pain with the exhaust tube!) I dropped it in the garbage can and fired it up. I couldn't run it long due to the wife sleeping (she works nights) but I didn't get a whole lot of mist coming out of the holes. I had it in gear at about half throttle for about 15 seconds and while I could feel a healthy amount of air pumping out, there didn't appear to be alot of water/mist. How do I know if it's right?

Edit to add video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6C7fBRH6OQ

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How much mist on a Gamefisher/Eska 7.5 after impeller replacement?

if you install it clockwise then it will work. when installing the housing over the impellor, turn prop clockwise and seat the impellor into the housing. I always use a little grease on the inside of the housing when doing this. you should get a good spray of water coming out the exhaust.

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice

I installed it counter clockwise, as the housing is upside down and the shaft rotation is clockwise. The vanes are bent away from rotation rather than into rotation. Is that incorrect? I Can find zero reference online about it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Was the old impeller in peices? Some of them may have gotten upstream,blocking the waterflow. It should give a good flow @ the outlet.

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice

Nope, old impeller was intact, just inflexible and multidirectional. Is there some sort of priming or something?

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice

Eska impeller check - YouTube

I ran it til it got hot and that's about the most I got out of it. With it in gear the water splashed around too much to get a decent video, but the water mist output seemed to be the same. Water was warm coming out, not hot.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

When it's idling in the can and you put your hand in back of the holes, your fingers will get wet pretty quick. I can never see the mist out of mine.

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice

Then maybe it's working fine. Take a look at this video; my hand is dry when I put it in front of the holes and was just starting to drip when I pulled it away.

Eska impeller check 2 - YouTube

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mine sprays more water then that. all your doing is cooling the exhaust housing anyway.

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice

Think I'm ok to take it out and run it? How would I know if it's running hot?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

all the water does is cool the exhaust housing. The engine itself is air cooled like a lawn mower. you will be fine.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

That's good lookin' water, you're ready to ride. The water is important for the engine, 'cause it pulls heat off the the bottom end around the crank - if it runs too hot, it'll shrink the lower crank deal, the bottom end loses seal, and can't pull fuel/air charge thru the reeds on the up stroke, or spank the reeds closed on the down stroke. You'll probably know it if it overheats, because it will start to cook oil and stuff on the outside of the engine that normally doesn't get hot enough to evaporate. It may ping, too. That is NOT the water mist of an outboard that's gonna burn down, it's time for you to take a turn about the harbor.

Wakko

Seaman Apprentice

I'm hoping to try it out Saturday!