How much grease to put in grease nipples?

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So this is my first full year having a 1993 Maxum 1700SR boat with a 3.0L mercruiser Alpha one leg. Bought it in Oct last year, took it for one run and winterized it. Took it out this year and got about 8 runs on it and now getting ready to winterize it again :( What I didnt noticed last year was that theres Grease nipples on the Out drive. Called the Marine shop and they say put in Teflon grease. They wanted $60.00 a tube. I ended up going to Canadian tire and got Trailer and Marine grease

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...280853P/Marine+&+Trailer+Grease.jsp?locale=en

Hope this is the right grease to use. So theres 3 grease nipples that I can see, one on each side for the hinge pin and another one I belive leads to the Gimbal bearing. I pumped two pumps in the Hinge pins location and it got stiff so I stopped. Then I went to the Gimbal nipple and did 10 pumps is it was still loose. So I did another 5 and still no restrictions. Not sure if it needed to be full but I stopped there. I tried searching and could not find the answer. Hopefully u guys can help me out.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How much grease to put in grease nipples?

First, I personally wouldn't use that grease. I use Quicksilver 2-4-C (available here at iboats) for my merc alpha.

As for how much, I just keep pumping the gun until I see it coming out the other side. As for lubing the gimbal bearing, I just go until I think it's probably coming out the other side. You can;t use too mch, but you can use too little (is my belief).

cr2k

Captain

That was about right. Gimbal usually 15-18 pumps to purge. Other until you feel feed back and a few more to purge. Bearing buddies DO NOT go to tight, just enough to move the spring or you will blow the seals out the back of the bearings.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Grease fittings are called zerks. Nipples are a totally different animal and they belong only on the deck of the boat ;)

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Don't use Teflon grease on the gimbal bearing.

You'll never get resistance to grease on the gimbal bearing zerk becuase the bearing is wide open. Excess grease just oozes out and into the bellows or bilge.

Any grease is better than no grease on the hinge pins, but the Teflon stuff is best.

nlain

Commander

There is another grease fitting on the back of the engine for the coupler, this lubricates the splines on the coupler and driveshaft, on my boat hard to see and get to, have to turn engine to get it in the right position to grease it. I am not sure when they stopped putting grease fittings on the ujoints for the drive, you may have two more there, need to pull the drive and check. I usually grease my gimble bearing with the engine running on the muffs, may not make one bit of difference, just makes me feel better that the bearing is rotating while grease is going in, gets all the way around for sure.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

2 4 c

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I pumped two pumps in the Hinge pins location and it got stiff so I stopped.

Are you sure any grease actually went through the zerk? Sounds to me like the ends of the zerks may be stopped up and not allowing any grease in.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you sure any grease actually went through the zerk? Sounds to me like the ends of the zerks may be stopped up and not allowing any grease in.

I am assuming its going in. I did two pumps and it was smooth then it got all tight. Sames with the other side. I didnt see anything oozing out while pumping.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 116352

So I did a few more extra pumps in the hinge pin zerks and now its oozing out. Hope I didnt blow any seals. Please check attached photo