how much compression???

gary159

Cadet
i have a late 80's model evinrude 200xp,,how much compression should i have on each of the 6 cyl.?? whats a low compression number i should be worried about?? i know a new motor should have high compression but how about a used motor??

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: how much compression???

Its more important that they be within 10-15 lbs of each other.

Lostfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would say 100+ would be good. But it is important that they are within 10% of each other. what are ur numbers

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Normal compression on a looper V6 is:

95 psi - Starboard

90 psi - Port

Now..... what compression do you have?

gary159

Cadet

i havent checked it yet,,i am going tommorrow and buy a compression tester and will post them..i just didnt know what was a good compression or a bad compression number...sorry if i offended some of you guys,,you have to remember im a newbie here just trying to learn what i can from you guys.....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No offense taken. It's just nice to know what you have so the guys on here can answer your questions better.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Normal compression on a looper V6 is:

95 psi - Starboard

90 psi - Port

Now..... what compression do you have?

Just wondering why the difference between sides?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Red.... The difference in the psi reading between banks is due (according to factory reps) to the design of the crankshaft throws. Frankly I don't think they know either. It just seems to be the nature of the beast so to speak.

Gary.... We don't get offended, we're just insistent so that we can reply with facts. :)

Red.... The difference in the psi reading between banks is due (according to factory reps) to the design of the crankshaft throws. Frankly I don't think they know either......

I haven't seen that difference on mine ('90 200 HP). I've got 80 to 82 PSI on all cylinders.

It's apparent that "greater than 100 PSI" is just an old wives tale when it comes to these engines. I may not have as much experience as a lot of folks here, but I've yet to hear of a stock V6 looper with 100 PSI compression readings.