How Many of You Have...???

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
How many of you have crushed a lead splitshot sinker with your teeth onto your line?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How Many of Have...???

Yup. Also held lead balls in my mouth while muzzle loading, lived in houses painted exclusively with lead based paint, drove about a million miles burning gasoline altered with tetraethyl lead and drank many gallons of water piped in through lead pipes.

Thank goodness for all that brain damage. My IQ is down to 150. Without it I would certainly be a mad genius.

fishrdan

Admiral

Been crushing split shot with my teeth since I was a wee lad of 6 years old and haven't noticed any side affects,,, or maybe that explains my disposition... :D

BUT, my buddy sanded and repainted the trailer for his tinny, late 50's - early 60's vintage. He came down with some strange symptoms and the doc's found he got a dose of lead poisoning from sanding the old lead based paint,,, without wearing a respirator.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

... Without it I would certainly be a mad genius.

That is AWESOME! I am stealing that line.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: How Many of You Have...???

Yes,guilty as charged.
My IQ went up,mostly because it had nowhere to go but up.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have done it.

I also have removed split lead shot by biting the sprue. But that was before I knew it was bad for me; good thing I didn't know it would make you stupid back then! It would have killed me.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wait . . . it's bad for you? Why the heck isn't there a warning on the package?

I'm guilty of it several thousand times over. It's amazing sometimes how all these things are coming out that cause "cancer", but every one of them says "substance known to the State of California", like other scientists in other states have no clue what lead is...

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I do it all the time. Sometimes i wonder why I carry a leatherman.:D
Denny

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Wait . . . it's bad for you? Why the heck isn't there a warning on the package?

There is a label, but it's only bad for you in the state of California... Label says it "contains a substance known by the state of California to cause birth defects and reproductive harm"

For one, I am in Vermont, a long ways from California; for two, I was born a long time ago so don't worry much about birth defects :); for three, I am not reproducing.

Arizona, however, is close to California. I would check with your doctor...:p

CATransplant

Admiral

I have, and still do, on the very rare occasions when I use split shot. At 63, I'm not worried about it at all.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm . . . most of my sinkers and split shot are in old butter or other unrecognizable plastic or tin containers - got them from my Grandfather when he passed. He was the one that showed me, actually, how to clamp them shut by biting on them.

He worked in a steel mill in the days before OHSA, had his back broken by a horse when he was young, survived the US Merchant Marines in WWII, had ribs broken when chopping down a tree in the woods at 76 - the tree trapped him for over 48 hours, he dug out with a pocket knife, enjoyed cigars and brandy, ate red meat; provided wood, fresh vegetables and snow shoveling service to the Sisters of the Poor until he was 88. He lived to be 96 and was as sharp as ever when he passed.

He didn't do any of this in California. Maybe that's the secret.

Shizzy

Ensign

after all the things I have done and injested in my days, Im not all too worried about a little lead sinker. :D

ebry710

Ensign

I live in California and lead cause lead poisoning. That's why the stopped putting lead in solder for drinking water and house paint, but still put lead Waterford crystal drinking glasses and Chinese made coffee cups.

Now as a fisherman, you only have two hands, which is like a birth defect. If one hand is holding one side of the line and the other is holding the other side of the line, then what else do you use to crimp the split shot?

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very good responces,some funnier then others.I still make all my own lead stuff.I was wondering because all the lead I can get my hands on is so hard that my leatherman can't make them tight enough.So,I go back to the old days and still try to bite them down after I use my pliers,lol.Maybe all them lead chunks in my system has caught up with me.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How many of you have crushed a lead splitshot sinker with your teeth onto your line?

Done it many many times and n nn nd neeevvv nevvar neev never h hhha had ann annnnyyy any ai ill ll effe feeee fe effects fr frrrrooo frroomm rf from ittt iis iitt it...

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I did up to the time i had to get these new store bought teeth :(

cbavier

Lieutenant

I used to all the time when I was younger but since I got older and was afraid of breaking a tooth I stopped. I started using pliers about ten years ago.

Huron Angler

Admiral

How else am I supposed to get them to stay on the line? I've been biting lead sinkers since I was old enough to play with my Dad's tackle in the garage. Since then I graduated from college and can still do math the old fashioned way(no calculator).

I've come to the conclusion that the lead isn't as bad as people think unless you inhale particles of it or ingest large amounts. At least that's what I think.