How lose should u-joints be

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How lose should the u-joints on the drive shaft be? There was no slop or side to side action that i could se but they are very lose as in there is no stiffness when moveing them around. When i take the outdrive out they flop around and when I move them around by hand they move real easily and there is no resistance,.

coheej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How lose should u-joints be

There should be NO resistance.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They should be NO resistance. I agree as long as there is No rust your fine

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks i knew there should be no resistance but was just worried how little is too little i guess

JetBote

Seaman

No resistance is good at any level, just as long as you don't have slop inside the caps side to side or fore/aft.

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope there was none of that. I am fairly new to the boating world and was just tring to see if it is too loose. I have not really a vibration but more of a random shake in the outdrive and only at idle. The whole outdrive moves kinda side to side and its not constant it only does it once in a while and only at idle never at faster than idle.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Actually, as the u joints wear, they will get a little more "floppy" for the lack of a better description. Even to the point that it makes putting the outdrive back on a challenge. When you see and feel the difference between new u joints and how they feel and act, versus old ones, you can appreciate the difference.

Not suggesting you necessarily need to replace yours, but when various ones say there should be no resistance - I think they are describing something different.

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what my concern was. I am wondering if the no resistance means no catches?

ziggy

Admiral

when i have a question like this, my first step is to see what the s/m says...

from s/m #2 for my rig..

"Check universal joint bearings for excessive looseness. If bearings are worn or pitted from presence of water in bellow, replace cross and bearing assemblies."

seems like a good enough comment..

after i pull my drive. my ujoints are are always floppy. the drive shaft hangs down instantly.. they work very freely...

after i grease them, so far, they always tighten up to a degree. the drive shaft, under it's own weight will slowly go down. not just drop. you can feel some resistance of the new grease that was introduced. i use mercruiser universal joint and gimble brg grease for the lub..

that's what i see personally on mine anyways..

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats where my concern was when i grease them up they do not stiffen up at all....I will probably change them just for a peice of mind.....I have done auto u joints in the past I imagine that it cant be much harder than that.....Heres a thought can I go to an auto store and get replacements or do i need to buy the expensive ones on the marine sites....also I just got the boat about a month ago and really want to get it out and try it out before i have to put it up for the year mainly to see if i need anything else but also just to see if it floats....would it hurt to take it out if the u joints are worn.....there is no water in the bellows......

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You can get them at a well equipped auto parts store. Here's some numbers:

SPICER# 5-1306X
ROCKFORD# K1306
DETROIT# 7260
NEAPCO# 1-6300 / 1-6301
PRECISION (MOOG)# 315G
TRW (FEDERAL MOGUL)# 20030 / 20030P

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

these are part numbers for pre alpha drive u joints?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

They are for an alpha... but I am fairly confident they are the same for the pre-alpha. I can't tell you for 100% sure however.

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its worth a shot im fairly confident that the pre alpha nd alpha drives are fairly similar i think just the gear ratio may be different of course i could be wrong im not an expert

ziggy

Admiral

merc.
part # for r/mr/alpha1- 75832T,
SN# B-418818 & Below
or
part # 75832T1, sn
SN# B-418819 & Up

for my mc-1 drive- 35832T

difference that i can see is the t1 come only with a straight grease nipple and 4 clips, the plain T comes with two nipples, straight and 90* + 6 clips... :eek:

look the same to me...

.I have done auto u joints in the past I imagine that it cant be much harder than that.
except that ya can't get to the back cross due to interferance from the retainer. you'll either need to grind one of the ears for clearance, or remove the retainer with this.. http://www.iboats.com/Mallory-Wrenc...4994872--**********.796151494--view_id.363792 or the likes of it...

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh ok thanks....i think id opt for buying the wrench rather than grinding off a tab.....