How important is the last digit of part number?

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I plan replacing the upper bearings (those that hold smaller yoke) in the upper part of Alpha One Gen II outdrive (0D886515), powered by 1993 4.3LX/V6. It looks like the part number is 31-35988A 12. I also noticed that it replaces the original part number 31-35988A 2. Is there a special meaning of the last number??

I am asking because I purchased a part number 31-35988A 3, that was quite inexpensive. It is by Quicksilver, Timken made. But It looks like the spacer ring that sits between the two bearings is somewhat thinner, even visually, than the one currently installed on the drive (which is connected to the boat at this moment, I will be able to measure it and compare when I remove the drive, but not right now).

So, is it a compatible part number? Can it be that the one installed is not original and is not exactly correct? (but I recall that it also was Timken). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The whole number is important. A different end number could mean quite a lot of difference in the part. There is no 'meaning' to the number, it's just a number, but if it's different, it's a different part.

Chris.....

thumpar

Admiral
It looks like the 12 is for the Mercruiser part number and 3 is the Quickliver part number. I see that a lot where the very end it changed depending on Merc or Quicksilver.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh that does bring back memories of a situation they happened when I was working at a DEPOT electronic repair facility decades ago. We had this women that was working on circuit board repair, and she needed a transistor for her circuit boards. The part number was 2N3904 NPN transistor, But since we were out of stock of them, she put in a 2N3905 transistors. However a 2N3905 is a PNP tranistor and would never work in that circuit. And she couldn't figure out why her circuit boards would not pass testing. It took us a pretty long time to find out she was putting the wrong part number transistor in and she stated that since it was just one digit off, she didn't think it would matter. I do remember that now. :pound:

thumpar

Admiral
You just have to know what you are working on to know if you can use something that ends are starts with a different. With HP will change the last digit for revision so if you can find a part up the last number. Xerox is the same way. Lexmark will change the 3rd digit which is a letter But unless you know the schemes well don't guess.

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to everyone who responded. I got it -- it's a wrong part number. It looks like 31-35988A3 is for a different gear ratio, on later models. My original part looks more like the one in the youtube movie by Chris. It has two equivalent bearings, and a wider spacer. The one I erroneously purchased has two DIFFERENT bearings, and a narrower spacer. I am sending it back... Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Oh that does bring back memories of a situation they happened when I was working at a DEPOT electronic repair facility decades ago. We had this women that was working on circuit board repair, and she needed a transistor for her circuit boards. The part number was 2N3904 NPN transistor, But since we were out of stock of them, she put in a 2N3905 transistors. However a 2N3905 is a PNP tranistor and would never work in that circuit. And she couldn't figure out why her circuit boards would not pass testing. It took us a pretty long time to find out she was putting the wrong part number transistor in and she stated that since it was just one digit off, she didn't think it would matter. I do remember that now. :pound:

I love this. It's a great example of the difference between understanding what you are doing and just being a trained monkey.

Chris......