How far should secondary plates open

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
The throttle lever in the 100% position. The secondary plates are only open about 1/4". I can move the cam back and forth and hear the secondary closing. Is this normal, or should they be opening more than that?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What vintage,..?? it could be a Quadra-jet, or a Merc/ Weber/ Carter AFB carb,....

Either way, the 2ndaries don't open unless the motor is runnin', 'n pullin' a load,....

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not referencing the air doors. This is actually looking down into the carburetor beneath the air doors on the actual intake portion. The plates are only one about a 1/4" with the throttle 100%. Unfortunately I can't post the short video.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Unless you TELL US what carb you have any answer is useless

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Speaking for my 4bbl quadra-jet the secondaries open 100%. Then the gas guzzling begins, lol.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
On a Q-jet, the secondaries should not open all the way to the 90? position. If they do, they will perform poorly in comparison to them being adjusted properly. They should stop just shy of 90?

If anyone is interested, pm me & I can email you a copy of (or put you in touch with) the guru of Q-jets papers on proper tuning & adjusting of these carbs. He is a genius with these & other carbs.
Jim.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I had forgot about that site, BT. Some of Lars G's papers I was referring to above are the first set on that page.
There's a lot of good info on there. A guy could read for days.