How does a 190 classic match up?

BrewcityVTX

Cadet
I acquired an 89 190 Classic with the 4.3 Merc last summer. It's been a great boat for what we do on Lake Michigan. I'm just curious from you Wellcraft experts out there how the 89 190 Classic compares to the other Wellcraft lines from the same era. i.e. I've read that the excel is more the "value line" of Wellcraft. Just curious how the Classic was regarded in its day.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How does a 190 classic match up?

I have a 1990 "192 Sport" and I am only aware of a 1989 192 Classic (which I think is essentially the same).

Mine has a VP AQ171C with an SP-A outdrive (DOHC rare in boats, also last marine engine that Volvo made). I've taken boat more or less apart over the years. Not because it was needed, but because it gave me a chance to verify, clean up, and I think I can assemble it better than it was. I also had seats that started to crack, so had to re-staple (use stainless) and also patched some cracks.

For a small boat, I'd say it is pretty darn seaworthy. When it was almost brand new (to me), a blade on the prop broke off (never even got on plane). We were seven on board, on a day when the lake is horrible due to large chop in every direction (too many and too large boats out rushing to watch the air show). I thought we'd sink, but never took on any water, and I managed to put on a spare prop while hanging over the stern.

The lack of space due to a very "rakish" windshield is a poor design. No way to put a compass, GPS or anything else that you need to have in "field of vision" up there.

So far so good, pretty economical (if a boat ever is), but the next boat I buy will have full gelcoated glassfiber interior. Why are Americans so in love with these carpets on plywood - and then being very careless in covering the boat up during the winter. I even try to keep swimmers out of the boat until they dried off a bit. Water and plywood is simply not a good combination.

Attachments

• Wellcraft 192 Classic - 1989.jpg
    Wellcraft 192 Classic - 1989.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1