How do you test the bilge pump

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Is it ok to fill up the bilge to test the bilge pump?

I also noticed that the forward live well drains into the bilge is that normal?

Last edited:

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do you test the bilge pump

Sure it is. Is the boat out of the water or docked? Might be better to test it on the trailer in case the bilge pump doesn't work though.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Tis on the trailer - sounds like fun ::):

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My built in cooler drains to the bilge, so that's my test.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Yes. On the trailer, put in the transom plug and add water to the bilge until the float (you DO have a float, don't you?!?) activates the pump.

It's completely normal for the fish box and cooler boxes to drain into the bilge.

As long as the head doesn't! :eek:

Bifflefan

Commander

First one, test it in a bucket. Why fill the bilge with water???

Second one, No. Again, why fill the bilge with water???

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would test with the boat in the water......

Just to make sure the float switch works when it's actually floating.

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats how I done it, Took the bildge cover off and put the hose in her for a few minutes, Hit the bildge pump switch and seen the water pump out the side. Your NOT going to hurt ANYTHING !! If the pump doesn't work just remove the drain plug !

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

hopefully you have a float switch, too. If it is the box type, it has a knob on it you can turn to raise the float to test, But you need some water at the pump to be sure the impeller shaft is intact.

Coolers can drain into a bilge but not livewells due to fish parts, or if you use the live well for little girl's toilets. If the cooler is outside the hull (on the swim platform) it should not drain into the bilge.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Coolers can drain into a bilge but not livewells due to fish parts, or if you use the live well for little girl's toilets.

Never thought of that - wife was asking about where :p

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The bilge is not a sewer. All fish boxes, live wells, and coolers should drain directly overboard.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Was a Joke

5 gal bucket and potty seat works

The boat specs call it a live well, looking under the deck plate as far as I can there is no hose for the drain as there is one for the rear well.

There is however, a pump, inlet and overflow for the front, the same as for the rear

I wonder if I could get her to sit on the rear well :p

IH8JEEP

Seaman Apprentice

No!!! your live well should drain out of the bottom left hole beside main boat plug. To the right of the plug should be the pump screen for the live wells. If you have the bait well in the back left corner like mine you plug the drain and turn your live well on and fresh water fills the bait well and runs out the side keeping minnies with aireated water. Then pull plug water drains out same hole as live well (bottom left beside plug)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Depends on the boat, I have seen some that drain the livewell into the bilge, not the best way to do it but alot of companies did.

As others have pointed out, if you don't have your pump on a float switch now is a good time to do that then when you do get water in there it pumps out automatically.

2 pumps would be better yet, I like to go with a redundant system, I have a 500 for rain water and an 1100gph for if there is trouble and if one pump quits working you have the other as a back up.

I also put an alarm on the second one which is slightly higher in the boat so if the big pump comes on I hear an ear splitting alarm and know right away there is a problem.

fishrdan

Admiral

How ever you test it out, don't let your kids or wife walk by the thru-hull discharge tube when you "let it rip"...

My son was helping me clean the boat (washing the interior really well) and the automatic float switch decided to kick on,,, just as he was walking by :facepalm: Hosed him down pretty good :D

nlain

Commander

I recommend putting a second one in, mine would not work recently, I always test when I am cleaning the boat, leave the plug in and let it pump out a couple times, it did not pump out, would not pump out from manual switch. Checked and found both fuses blown, changed fuses and now it works, I am going to put a second one in just in case that happens again. I have no idea why the fuses were blown, once I changed them it all worked again, float switch and manual switch.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

although it is true some live wells are designed to drain into the bilge, that is a sign of an inferior design--a cheapie to sell to the masses. No telling what else they shorted. So if you must, just use it for a cooler, or install a through-hull.

I have an old Key West 17 that is a flat "bay boat" design. The livewell is in front under a front seat; the drain has a hose that runs back to the transom and out. So if it's not plugged, it will drain when you get on a plane. The boat has such low freeboard that this design is actually better than a through-hull at the side. So if you have a boat with a drain into the bilge, try running a hose astern, and out. Even if it's ice water only, I'd run the hose back to the bilge pump area just to minimize the fresh water trickle down the hull.

DaveJ50

Seaman

Don't test it with the boat in the garage and the discharge pointed at the screen door that goes into the kitchen.

The good news is that the pump wants to run until the water is gone.

The bad news is that the pump wants to run until the water is gone.

IH8JEEP

Seaman Apprentice

I have this same model and year boat and it is a self bailer with scuppers in back. There should be no water going in to the bilge area, water from live well or drain water. Bait well and live well drian out side boat in back. That would a nasty mess if drained into lower hatch.:facepalm: The bilge is there in CASE WATER GETS INTO THE LOWER HATCH!