How do you kill clover?

WizeOne

Commander
Clover is starting to overtake my lawn. Two summers ago I spent $50 on some liquid killer that was recommended by the local lawn and garden shop. I also got the surfactant (wetting agent) that was supposed to help make the clover wet.

It was all for naught. Hardly made a dent in the stuff. Later in the year I did a granual weed and feed. It also did Zip.

Anyone with any tried and proven old country remedies?

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do you kill clover?

Find a use for it. That's the fastest way to kill any plant.

As a child. my parents tried for many years to kill some rhubarb plants growing along the fence line. Nothing they tried ever worked.

Then my mother found a recipe for rhubarb pie which quickly became a family favorite.

The rhubarb plants all died within 2 months.

Might be trickier finding a use for clover though. I hear horses and honey bees like it.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Try trimec. It will need a couple of shots with it but it works.

Shizzy

Ensign

My Pops has had clover in the South west corner of his lot since Carter was in office. He has grown to accept it...... :p

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Any weed killer containing 2,4-D will kill clover.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Clover is not a weed. Grass is a weed.

Count your blessings, WO. :)

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

My parents and grandparents have clover filled lawns. They spent years getting it to cover the whole lawn. I didn't know people wanted to ever get rid of it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Just went through this in the spring. Tried several products and nothing worked. Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control did the trick. All of it dead in a week. Course, I had to rebuild my lawn, cause it was almost bare after the clover died, but it looks better than ever now..

rwise

Captain

Roundup poison ivy killer seems to take out about anything I have sprayed it on, have not tried it on clover as I want it to spread!

mscher

Lieutenant

Hopefully, the chemical dosed carpet, AKA, the homeowner's lawn, will become a thing of the past, sooner, than later.

If there is clover in your lawn and drought comes, the fescue and bluegrass may go dormant brown, but the clover will stay green.

If there is clover in your lawn, you will also have something else - bees. They gather nectar from the little white flowers. IMO, yards, rural roadsides and fence rows, that look cleaner than a Jack Nicholas golf course, are one of the reasons bees are decreasing in numbers. Where are they supposed to get nectar?

Clover gathers it's own nitrogen from the atmoshere.

I thought about overseeding my lawn with white clover, just to even it out.

2-4-D will kill clover, but maybe your lawn will be healthier if you leave it be. :)

mscher

Lieutenant

My parents and grandparents have clover filled lawns. They spent years getting it to cover the whole lawn. I didn't know people wanted to ever get rid of it.

Since clover is not a grass, it became an "unwanted plant" (weed), in the bluegrass/fescue lawn era. No big deal as herbicides were plentiful and water was abundant.

It will become more popular again, as the trend against heavy herbicide use and water restrictions (in many areas), continue.

bhammer

Ensign

I get it pretty bad late winter and early spring. I use products that contain 2,4-D and many other Broad Leaf weed killer will do the job. Be carful with both because they do and will kill other types of grasses.

Once you kill it, seed/sod with an agressive grass such as St Augustine or bermuda and grow it think and it'll keep it from coming back. Each year the areas I get it bad are getting less and less as the grass gets thicker.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

If there is clover in your lawn, you will also have something else - bees. They gather nectar from the little white flowers. IMO, yards, rural roadsides and fence rows, that look cleaner than a Jack Nicholas golf course, are one of the reasons bees are decreasing in numbers. Where are they supposed to get nectar?
My wife's doctor tells her that if she ever gets stung again, she'll live maybe 5 minutes unless she can immediately use the epipen.. and then it's problematic. Needless to say, no clover, flowers, or hummingbird feeders for us.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

WizeOne,
What type of grass do you have in your lawn that you would like to keep? This will dictate what chemical I can recommend to control the clover. Your best option will be a preemergent herbicide applied in late winter/early spring. This will keep the clover from ever coming up. If some does make it throught the pre emergent herbicide, you will have quite a few options for post applications. Of course, the pre emerge will be something to do next year...

Clover is starting to overtake my lawn. Two summers ago I spent $50 on some liquid killer that was recommended by the local lawn and garden shop. I also got the surfactant (wetting agent) that was supposed to help make the clover wet.

It was all for naught. Hardly made a dent in the stuff. Later in the year I did a granual weed and feed. It also did Zip.

Anyone with any tried and proven old country remedies?

Go to HD or Lowes, get some Weed B Gone (or other product with 2-4-D) and spray it on using one of those hose sprayers.

Walk backwards to avoid trudging through it. Apply when dry and it is not going to rain for a while and within a week or so the clover will be gone. You may be surprised by how much grass is left under it all!

WizeOne

Commander

WizeOne,
What type of grass do you have in your lawn that you would like to keep? This will dictate what chemical I can recommend to control the clover. Your best option will be a preemergent herbicide applied in late winter/early spring. This will keep the clover from ever coming up. If some does make it throught the pre emergent herbicide, you will have quite a few options for post applications. Of course, the pre emerge will be something to do next year...

tysonn, my lawn is made up from ryes and fescues.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

WizeOne,
I dont have much experience with rye in lawns, but I can give you my recommendations for a fescue lawn... particularly tall fescue.

There are a couple of herbicides that offer good control of white clover in fescue lawns.
1. Weed-B-Gon (triclopyr)
2. 33 Plus, Wipe-Out, Trimec, etc. (2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba)

These herbicides are sold under a variety of different names, so look for the active ingredient on the label...

An 8% formulation of triclopyr is applied at a rate of 2.5 fl.oz. per 1000 sq.ft. Apply it twice at an interval of 3-4 weeks for improved control. The rate must be adjusted for different formulations of active ingredient... refer to the label.

2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba is applied at rates ranging from 2.67 to 5 fl.oz. per 1000 square feet, depending on the concentration. Again, check to the label. This product should not be applied when air temperature is > 90 degrees.

Along with herbicide use, modification of cultural practices can also help with the control of weeds. As a nitrogen-producing legume, clover is often found and is competitive in lawns that have not been adequately fertilized with nitrogen. Regular fertilization, especially fall nitrogen applications can help reduce this weed in lawns. Herbicides applied during the summer aren't as effective as fall applications. To obtain maximum weed control and to prevent turf injury, ensure that the clover and grass are well-watered and not stressed. Spot treatment is preferable to broadcast applications with any postemergent herbicide because of the decreased potential for harming non-target plants.

I hope that this information helps...

tn

chiefalen

Captain

50/50 mix of bleach and water. Be careful will kill anything you spray it on.

Trees and the grass you want to keep.

WizeOne

Commander

50/50 mix of bleach and water. Be careful will kill anything you spray it on.

Trees and the grass you want to keep.

chiefA, might kill trees but certainly not my ryes and fescus. I used to pour straight bleach on my concrete patios and walkways, brush it in with a stiff bristled broom, let it sit for an hour then hose it off into the grass.

The grass never whimpered. The only thing that didn't like it were the earthworms.