How do you get a boat off a trailer without docking it into the water

cullen493

Seaman Apprentice
I need to get my boat off the trailer so I can paint my trailer. How can I get the boat off of the trailer without docking it into the water?

mailman2

Seaman
Re: How do you get a boat off a trailer without docking it into the water

Try making one of these, slip it under the transom and pull trailer out and then block the keel.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well how big is your boat? There are many ways to do this but many will not be the best idea with a large boat. I would consider anything over 20ft large, I have a 22ft Four Winn and I use steel rolling showroom dollies for mine that will hold 7000lb. I have used the for-mentioned way of pulling the trailer out from under it and have lifted it and set it on the dollies. Both work, but pulling the trailer out always get my nervs going

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, to give a knowledgable answer we need more information about the size and weight of the boat.

Probably the easiest and safest way for any boat is to launch the boat into the water and to leave it in the water until the trailer is repaired.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Screw type boat stands you can buy used, a heavy duty jack, and some patience...

Done this to a 25' and 27' boat with no problems.

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is 16' Silverline..not too big but heavy enuff to worry me!

Brewman61

Ensign

Make friends with the local friendly boatyard. Then ask them if they'd hoist it off the trailer and safely store it for you for a few days- for a reasonable fee, so you can work on the trailer. They have them hoist it back on the trailer, and thank them by throwing some work their way.

steve6

Seaman

I had to use my dads trailer to go pick up my boat.... I put the supports under the back, and then lifted the front a bit using a 4x4 under the hook as you can see in the picture, and slowly pulled the trailer out. This allowed me to get the trailer 90% of the way back under it so it was easy to get the trailer back under.

Attachments

• 100_2394.jpg
    100_2394.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_2392.jpg
    100_2392.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to use my dads trailer to go pick up my boat.... I put the supports under the back, and then lifted the front a bit using a 4x4 under the hook as you can see in the picture, and slowly pulled the trailer out. This allowed me to get the trailer 90% of the way back under it so it was easy to get the trailer back under.

That looks a bit unsafe.:eek:

steve6

Seaman

That looks a bit unsafe.:eek:

using a skid to hold up the one side might have been questionable lol, but it was sturdy on there. I put the cradle under the front after I pulled the trailer out and two 2x6's in a v under it in case that weak 4x4 snapped.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

The way E-How says to do it is pretty much the way. I'm actually lifting my boat off my trailer right now to readjust some rollers. Last year I had to take the trailer completely out to rebuild it...

I was able to have a friend that sells fire wood cut me two fat logs 18" in diameter to the height I needed. trailer tongue down, logs under the stern of the boat on the outside on the flat parts of the chines, hydraulic jack in the front and start lifting. To take the trailer out you need to keep moving the jack and blocks in the front as the cross members of the trailer come up to the jack.

With the stern supported from each side its really very stable. Theres really no way for it to tip over.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Check with your manufacturer as you may be able to use the lifting eyes/tow rings to pick the boat up on an a-frame with a hoist front and rear. Then you can roll out the trailer and block accordingly. If you block it wrong - you get a new hole to patch.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Along the lines of the post directly above, a pair of engine hoists/shop cranes may work well - if you have them available to you. I'm referring to the four wheeled type with the arm lifted by a hydraulic cylinder. The ones I have will lift up to about a ton (each) when not extended too far. Of course you need solid lift points on the boat.