How do you crank up an electric downrigger when the motor quits?

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never had electric downriggers until this past fall when I bought a new to me Sylvan. It came with Cannon electric downriggers (2 Marlins & 2 Mag20's) that work great. I never thought about this until I was searching ebay and someone was selling an emergency crank handle for the large body cannon electric downriggers. After looking at it and my downriggers I can't see how it would work on them. Anyway, how does one retreive the cannon ball and line if the electric motor quits. You can't very well do hand over hand pulling up the steel cable, it would slice your hands open. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How do you crank up an electric downrigger when the motor quits?

You can't very well do hand over hand pulling up the steel cable, it would slice your hands open.

Ayuh,... Wear Gloves....

I've never had a motor problem with my Digitrolls, but hand over hand is the only option I know of...

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Big Jon has a handle and I can release the tension knob and hand crank them if need be.

I'd be more concerned about dead battery than dead motor.

sasto

Captain

Cannon used to make a handle, maybe still do. Mine would slip between the tensioner and the spool. The emergency crank handle was not made of the best material.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sasto- From what you're saying, I would just loosen the tension knob and insert the crank handle between the spool and knob then tighten it down and crank away. Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the info.

wood2turn

Seaman

My walkers have a handle or just that reason.

sasto

Captain

Sasto- From what you're saying, I would just loosen the tension knob and insert the crank handle between the spool and knob then tighten it down and crank away. Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the info.

skyking.....yep ....now catch some fish!