How do you all like your remote oil filter setups?

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'll be pulling the 4.3 out this winter to pull up the floor and make any repairs I find... but I was thinking of adding a remote oil filter setup to the engine. First, they aren't cheap by any means... and the filter isn't exactly bad to get to either. When I glassed in the mounts I notched the back end so my arm would fit down in there. Having a dog house engine box there aren't any seats or anything in the way either. So for the couple times a year it gets done, it isn't a hassle really but would be convenient.

I was also remember reading about the bypass possibly needing to be changed but from what I recall, this block just has an Allen headed thread in stud for the filter, not a boss with bypass like a normal small block would have. It also uses a PF52 filter which is considerably narrower than something like a pf454 like I'm used to. That's also probably why I have no issues getting the filter out. I don't think a larger filter would be pleasant to deal with.

Did you all feel it was worth it if you added it? All I'm thinking is that I can buy a heck of a lot of oil for what it would cost is all.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I researched that this past year. I wanted one because I have to pull out half of the rear seat to get at mine and move the battery back on that side. I heard about changing the block bypass valve, and looked into that. Here's the thing. The V6 and the V8 are different in this respect. On the V8 there is an removable adapter that you can un-bolt, and remove the 11 psi bypass valve and install a 30 psi valve. However, this is not so on the V6, on these the oil filter mounting pad is smaller (that's why the filters are different diameters) and it is staked right into the mounting pad. It is darn near impossible to get at with the engine in the boat. I know that both Merc and Volvo had add on kits for the remote oil filter mount for the 4.3, and neither to my knowledge, included a different bypass valve. I wound up not installing mine this fall when I winterized because I couldn't get good access with the exhaust system installed. Since I'm going to at least replace the elbows next fall, I will have it apart and install it then.
Here's a pic of what the bypass in the V6 mounting pad looks like.
If you can get at this with the engine in the boat, great, but I wasn't about to muck this up just to add the remote filter mount at this point.
I bought the kit from Michigan Motorz, I have OMC/Volvo style exhaust on my '88 OMC so this will fit perfect. It came with nice high quality hoses and fittings and a large WIX filter (about 2x as big as the standard Merc or Sierra marine oil filters).

Attachments

• 4.3 oil filter mounting pad and bypass valve.jpg
    4.3 oil filter mounting pad and bypass valve.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Remote oil filter mount for 4.3 V6.jpg
    Remote oil filter mount for 4.3 V6.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was thinking of adding a remote oil filter setup to the engine. First, they aren't cheap by any means...
they are a tick over $105

if you are a mechanic or a hobby mechanic, you can build one with longer hoses for about $100 ($50 if you shop racing classifieds )

I have about $100 in mine, however that also included the beer. granted today it would be about $160

dual filter head new under $30, BBC block adapter about $50. 2 filters $14, 30 psi check valve $11. pulled in a favor for the -12 fittings, hoses and hose ends. the Beer was for the guy swedging the hose fittings. I think the plumbing starts on page 11 with the oil cooler. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/bbc-build-dont-tell-the-admiral.666775/page-11

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I researched that this past year. I wanted one because I have to pull out half of the rear seat to get at mine and move the battery back on that side. I heard about changing the block bypass valve, and looked into that. Here's the thing. The V6 and the V8 are different in this respect. On the V8 there is an removable adapter that you can un-bolt, and remove the 11 psi bypass valve and install a 30 psi valve. However, this is not so on the V6, on these the oil filter mounting pad is smaller (that's why the filters are different diameters) and it is staked right into the mounting pad. It is darn near impossible to get at with the engine in the boat. I know that both Merc and Volvo had add on kits for the remote oil filter mount for the 4.3, and neither to my knowledge, included a different bypass valve. I wound up not installing mine this fall when I winterized because I couldn't get good access with the exhaust system installed. Since I'm going to at least replace the elbows next fall, I will have it apart and install it then.
Here's a pic of what the bypass in the V6 mounting pad looks like.
If you can get at this with the engine in the boat, great, but I wasn't about to muck this up just to add the remote filter mount at this point.
I bought the kit from Michigan Motorz, I have OMC/Volvo style exhaust on my '88 OMC so this will fit perfect. It came with nice high quality hoses and fittings and a large WIX filter (about 2x as big as the standard Merc or Sierra marine oil filters).
That seems to be what I recall mine looking like. I know GM used a bypass on the s10s with the remote kit.... Maybe I'll look into that.
they are a tick over $105

if you are a mechanic or a hobby mechanic, you can build one with longer hoses for about $100 ($50 if you shop racing classifieds )

I have about $100 in mine, however that also included the beer. granted today it would be about $160

dual filter head new under $30, BBC block adapter about $50. 2 filters $14, 30 psi check valve $11. pulled in a favor for the -12 fittings, hoses and hose ends. the Beer was for the guy swedging the hose fittings. I think the plumbing starts on page 11 with the oil cooler. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/bbc-build-dont-tell-the-admiral.666775/page-11
I'll clarify, the OE ones aren't cheap lol.

I have a long history with hoses and oil coolers... I uh... don't trust plain old rubber line any more lol. I was looking to going that route though. I'd need something like a derale 15704 for the filter boss and then a mount. My buddy works in a hydraulic shop and could make the lines... Then I just need NPT to IF or depending what he has on the end for that. Thanks for the link, I'm going to roll further down the rabbit hole now. One of those... while its out things. Mission creep is very real lol.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im running 300 psi hydraulic hose (1200 psi burst) in the boat as I wanted the black rubber sheath (braided stainless will rust in salt water). on the automotive builds, I ran stainless braided teflon hose. all from my buddy at the hydraulic shop. (that is where the beer comes in)

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to know what stainless merc uses on the trim and tilt lines... mine are the original 84s and still shiny... even on my auto projects they tend to rust with the brine they use here and the ocean air.

The AN stuff is nice but the hydraulic stuff is more than adequate. I'll get scheming over the winter. I actually had him make a set for my buddy's 454s as the replacement mercs kept leaking after a season or two. These have been good for ~ 8 years now.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just out of curiosity, anyone have a P/N for the 30 PSI bypass for a 4.3l? I found a few GM numbers but no mention of pressures.

tango13

Seaman
Having had boats with both now, it’s a 100% worth it especially if you’re going to be pulling the motor anyways. I did a bit of research on kits for my old boat with a 5.7 and I remember there being a wide range of kits from very cheap to very expensive. If I were you, I would find the merc part numbers for the factory kit and go with that. I read quite a few bad stories about the cheaper aftermarket kits, normally I’m all for race parts but cleaning oil out of the bilge is not a fun time.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well I finally found the valve that Merc uses on some of their 4.3 kits. I will look for the part # & post it here. I ordered one & when I receive it I will try to rig up a way to test at which pressure it opens unless it’s marked on the valve. Really curious to see if it has a GM part number on it.
OK it’s Merc part # 22-878050.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I finally found the valve that Merc uses on some of their 4.3 kits. I will look for the part # & post it here. I ordered one & when I receive it I will try to rig up a way to test at which pressure it opens unless it’s marked on the valve. Really curious to see if it has a GM part number on it.
OK it’s Merc part # 22-878050.
I actually found an AC Delco valve that claims 21psi bypass. 25014612. A whole 5 dollars.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well if it's the same part, we will see, I can tell you Mercruiser charges about $17 for this thing.
The odd thing is this:
I looked and looked and looked at OEM accessory oil filter kits and also parts lists for engines that came with them standard. I never found an additional by pass valve on any of the factory OEM kits, be they Merc or Volvo
However, on the later model Merc 4.3s that had the remote filter kit as standard, or a factory option, they did list this valve. So maybe once-and-for all we might be able to know, are you supposed to change that dang valve when you install a remote oil filter mount!
If that is true then I am waiting till I need to install a reman engine for mine because I can't see a way to get at it and not muck up the job at the same time. In that case I'll just have to continue removing half of the rear seat to change the oil....

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
An interesting thought... the older S10s were built on the line with factory remote mounts for the oil filter as well as oil coolers and then at some point they were eliminated or not used on 2wd trucks. Perhaps there was a point where they were always shipped with the higher bypass pressure. I did find 2 part numbers on mercs site for a 2003. The remote was different but didn't specify a pressure.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Now I am starting to think....for years....many S-10 Blazers with the 4.3, had standard remote oil filter mounts.....I wonder.....is it possible....that GM actually installed these at the factory?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes the S10 with the 4.3 4wd had the remote filter installed from the factory.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
No it is a fact.
No I meant that merc was receiving ones with the higher bypass installed. Wasn't doubting the remote filter housing aspect of it. Got 5 of them in the parking lot at work that jogged my memory this morning.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m wondering if all S10 Blazers from the beginning had the remote filter or only when the body style was revised; or if 2 WDs had the regular on the block filter but 4x4s had the remote?

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m wondering if all S10 Blazers from the beginning had the remote filter or only when the body style was revised; or if 2 WDs had the regular on the block filter but 4x4s had the remote?
All our 4wd S10s have the remote setup. The one 2wd doesn't. The other does. It was standard on the 4WD trucks. I believe it was due to the front drive shaft proximity of it basically touching the filter if it didn't have it.... I am unsure of why the one 2wd has it, I do not believe the 2wd S10s had a remote oil filter setup unless it was optional on them...

We have a first gen 93 that is 4wd FYI. The rest are "2nd gens"