How do I remove the oil level float from resevoir?

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Apparently I have a bad oil level float in the plastic resevoir of my 1987 100 hp Mercury o/b (2+2). How do I know this? I have a constant beep-beep-beep when the ignition switch is in the "on" position. I know the engine is getting oil. I can make the beeping stop by inserting a telescoping magnet into the oil resevoir. My thinking is that this eleminates the possibility of a bad warning module, or low voltage to the warning module. I say this to invite criticism, if any, to my logic.

My question is this. Now that I have the oil resevoir off of the motor, how do I remove the float from the resevoir? Should I try to just replace the entire resevoir?

Thanks in advance.

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How do I remove the oil level float from resevoir?

JoeW said:
Apparently I have a bad oil level float in the plastic resevoir of my 1987 100 hp Mercury o/b (2+2). How do I know this? I have a constant beep-beep-beep when the ignition switch is in the "on" position. I know the engine is getting oil. I can make the beeping stop by inserting a telescoping magnet into the oil resevoir. My thinking is that this eleminates the possibility of a bad warning module, or low voltage to the warning module. I say this to invite criticism, if any, to my logic.

My question is this. Now that I have the oil resevoir off of the motor, how do I remove the float from the resevoir? Should I try to just replace the entire resevoir?

Thanks in advance.

Joe,

Are you talking about the remote reservoir or the reservoir on the motor itself.

The float on my Mercury 150 (the one on the motor itself) is locted on the cap of the reservoir. In my situation I'd replace the entire cap assembly.

hope this helps but we might have different oil reservoirs.
TS

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe,
The floats have a magnet glued on the bottom which activates sensor when oil is low. The glue almost always fails after a period of time. "There is no access to the float for repair so you will need to purchase a new tank."

Having been a machinist for 30 years, I came up with a method and tools to remove and repair this problem. I reglue the magnet and drill and safety wire it to the float so it will not become detached again.

I have one from a 1989 100hp which I will sell very cheap. If interested, let me know and i will email you with info and pictures.

Bob

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

north40
You didn't leave your e-mail address. How much do you want for the oil resevoir?
-Joe