How do I know if it is a dry joint exhaust manifold or not?

seilings

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,
I am looking to purchase a Full Closed Water Cooling system for my boat engine.

So my engine S/N is: OW629061, which is 4.3L Mercruiser on a 2006 Maxum 18' bow rider.
So from this website I can put in my S/N and search engine parts:
Mercruiser Parts Lookup and Serial Number Search Tool-Performance Product Technologies

To my surprise, I just found out this engine is a 1998 model instead of 2006!
Anybody know is this a dry join manifold or not?
http://www.perfprotech.com/mercruis...old-and-elbow/assembly/11812/160?umodel=16090

I thought Mercruiser has dry joint manifold after 20001, or maybe I am wrong.
Thanks,

Last edited:

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do I know if it is a dry joint exhaust manifold or not?

Yes, that second link is to a dry joint manifold. They are very easy to spot in person. You can see the cast tube between the two where part 14 connects. The red o-rings on part 9.

alldodge

Staff member

I am looking to purchase a Full Closed Water Cooling system for my boat engine.

I thought Mercruiser has dry joint manifold after 20001, or maybe I am wrong.

The difference between closed and open cooling system so far as the riser is the gasket that goes between the two. Ones with slotted holes in the figure below allow to transfer of water between manifold and riser and are used with open systems. If you install gaskets without slots this is for a closed system. If you purchase a closed system they should come with the necessary gaskets and plates.

Merc still makes full open systems

Gasket Exhaust Elbo 27-997772.jpg

seilings

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that second link is to a dry joint manifold. They are very easy to spot in person. You can see the cast tube between the two where part 14 connects. The red o-rings on part 9.

The difference between closed and open cooling system so far as the riser is the gasket that goes between the two. Ones with slotted holes in the figure below allow to transfer of water between manifold and riser and are used with open systems. If you install gaskets without slots this is for a closed system. If you purchase a closed system they should come with the necessary gaskets and plates.

Merc still makes full open systems

Thank you so much hivoltg, AllDodge,
Have a nice day guys!

Fun Times

Staff member

Serial number OW629061 is a newer engine that would be in the 2006 time frame.

Using the parts catalog system, any engine made after 1998 will go by serial number only not by year. So when you see a year that is under 1998 it will be accurate. If the known year is above 1998 and a half, (99+) or if you see an M after 98 like illustrated below, the year will not be/read accurate. Your engine serial number should be equipped with dry-Joint warm manifolds with warm risers if you have risers.

MERCRUISER - (4.3L H.P. (1998M ))
Serial No: 0W629061 Model No: 4211025TT

seilings

Seaman Apprentice

Serial number OW629061 is a newer engine that would be in the 2006 time frame.

Using the parts catalog system, any engine made after 1998 will go by serial number only not by year. So when you see a year that is under 1998 it will be accurate. If the known year is above 1998 and a half, (99+) or if you see an M after 98 like illustrated below, the year will not be/read accurate. Your engine serial number should be equipped with dry-Joint warm manifolds with warm risers if you have risers.

MERCRUISER - (4.3L H.P. (1998M ))
Serial No: 0W629061 Model No: 4211025TT

Wow, thanks again for the information.

Cheers!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you a partial closed cooling system on it now?

Engine has only been run in fresh water all it's life or some salt water also?

Mark

seilings

Seaman Apprentice

Do you a partial closed cooling system on it now?

Engine has only been run in fresh water all it's life or some salt water also?

Mark

Hi Mark
It is raw water cooling.
It has first 60 hours running on fresh water only, and I have put in about 20 hours of salt water running this summer.
After every weekend trip back from ocean water, I will wash it down totally and flush engine.
I even drain all the engine block and manifold before I flush the engine.

And each of this post trip maintain take me about one and half hour, which make me feel very tired.
So I am thinking to put on a closed water cooling system to make my life easier.

Do you think it is too late to install full closed cooling system now? It is now total 82 hours on the engine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi Mark
It is raw water cooling.
It has first 60 hours running on fresh water only, and I have put in about 20 hours of salt water running this summer.
After every weekend trip back from ocean water, I will wash it down totally and flush engine.
I even drain all the engine block and manifold before I flush the engine.

And each of this post trip maintain take me about one and half hour, which make me feel very tired.
So I am thinking to put on a closed water cooling system to make my life easier.

Do you think it is too late to install full closed cooling system now? It is now total 82 hours on the engine.

If it's more than one year old, and been run in seawater... Yep, WAY too late....

BTW...

Dry-joint manifolds
attachment.php

Non Dry-joint manifolds
attachment.php

Last edited: