how do i install a dual batterie switch??

undecided69

Seaman
i would like to install a dual switch in my boat i have 120hp omc engine. im not to sure how to install the wires ive found lots of different way n the more ways ifind i get more confuse i want a batterie for starting the engine only the other batterie for a radio n fish finder.should i have 2 of the same batteries hook up? is there a wire that hooks up to the alternator? so confuse.... thank you for helping me in advance :)

Duke_

Cadet
Re: how do i install a dual batterie switch??

easiest setup going would be a 1-2-ALL switch , you wire everything to the common terminal and connect battery one to post 1 on the switch and connect battery two to post 2 of the switch and then depending on where you have your switch will determine which battery is being used by the boat and which one gets the charge with the boat running, so you can do all day on Battery 1 and switch it to battery 2 before you head in, switch it to BOTH to charge both batteries or just switch it back to 1 and give the low battery all of the charge.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 4 position (Off-1-2-Both) battery switch is the most common setup out there. It does not keep the batteries for house (accessories) and motor separate. It just lets you choose which battery you want to use at that time.
If you are going to start your motor, you could choose position 1 which may be a smaller starting battery, then turn the switch to all while running to top off the charge on the starting battery while also charging the house battery. Then if you anchor or decide to fish and use electronics, and trolling motor, etc., you could change to battery 2 which could be made up of 1, 2, or more deep cycle batteries.
Then if you run the house battery/s down, you can turn the switch back to position 1 and start the motor, turn the switch back to Both and start charging the house battery back up, or to position 2 and charge the house battery only.
Approx $50-100 for switch and wiring. Excluding battery.

Bluesea has a product called Add-A-Battery with a different type switch and an ACR.
Your house and motor batteries are completely isolated from each other and have their own battery. When you get to the boat, you turn the switch to on. That's it, no more switching until you turn it off.
You can not run the starting battery down buy using your accessories. When you start the motor it will automatically charge both batteries, you do not have to do anything.
In case of an emergency, you can turn the switch to combine and it will hook both batteries together.
Approx. $250-300 for switch, wiring, fuses. Excluding battery.

Yes, the Add-A-Battery costs more, not trying to say they cost the same. Kind of like a car. An old VW Bug and a Cadillac will both get you to your destination, but one gives you more comfort and amenities than the other, and yes it costs more.

undecided69

Seaman

thanks guys thats what i thought.... i found lots of diagrams from other forums n they did not make sense at all.