How do I get the OMC trim wires out of the plug? now pump going in.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
I am installing a new trim motor and the wiring has the shoe connectors. How do I get the old wires out of the connector? I have the top ring off but I cant see how to get the female conectors from the old motor out of he plug. Ideas?
Thanks
Mac

surferpunk858

Recruit
Re: How do I get the OMC trim wires out of the plug? now pump going in.

Have you had any luck? I am currently encountering the same problem. I am nervous to break the plug connector when trying to get the female spade ends out. It seems l ike they are locked in by a plastic tab or something, i have tried releasing it with a small thin screwdriver among many other things, and have had no luck. any help is appeciated!

thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The ones on my '98 Johnny has small copper/brass tangs that popped out from the spade connectors that held them in the rubber connector. A small screwdriver or plier should allow you to push them out of the way. Be sure to remember which wire went where.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Haven't attacked it again yet. I got the top off the plug I am just going to hack up the old spades and see if I can slip them out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You need a very small thin flat edge tool in either case mentioned below.

If "male" tangs.... one edge of the tang needs to be bent down slightly, similar to sissors being open and you're forcing one sissor blade closed.

If "female" tangs.... a small flange in the center top portion of the flat area needs to be gently bent down.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Joe I got em. Just really need good light to see in there.
Mac